Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Too old to start?

DabharDabhar Member Posts: 1
I'm 58. In high school I had leading roles in a couple of the musicals, so I know I can sing, but I've never pursued it seriously. Recently I've been writing some songs and would really like to record them myself. So I'm wondering if taking this course would be of value to me, given my age. Thanks for your input!

Tim

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Your age does not disqualify you. It means you have less time to waste, so you should opt-in to learning to sing soon, so that you will have more time to enjoy being better.

We have many people of all ages, including older than you, that are either still singing, just getting started, or somewhere along the timeline between those two places.

You may be wiser now than you were in high school, and ready to actually learn some vocal technique.

All the Best!

Bob
  • Alan_HomentAlan_Homent Pro Posts: 5
    Hi Tim
    I,m 70 years old. So what. Tom Jones, err sorry SIR Tom Jones is older than me and shedloads better. You dont have to be young to be good. How old is Mick Jagger? Over seventy!! What are you worrying about you younster.
    All the best, Alan
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    There you go. We have people at age 18 worrying that they may be too old to start singing. No way. 58? No way that's too old! 70? No way that's too old! If you FEEL like singing, then by all means get started NOW. Time waits for no one. Get started, or you'll miss out on something good!
  • lisa71lisa71 Member Posts: 7
    Hi I'm 50 and learning to sing, sometimes i wonder am i too old to be learning, but i do love to sing and Im taking it way more seriously now. Does it take longer to learn when you are older, does our vocal chords change when we get older in some ways?
  • MarkB777MarkB777 3.0 Streaming Posts: 13
    I am 50 and starting you may think its late but its better late than never, thats how I look at it, while there is breath there is life and life is for living
  • LeonLackov_laskovLeonLackov_laskov Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2022
    Hi @Dabhar , Tim.
    I'm 66 and 44 years ago i sang all Beatles & part of Deep Purple. When i studed in middle school my parent go me to music school with choir or orcestra on case.
    I went to the orcestra I did not study to sing.
    And now I write russian lyric on english speaking hits and english lyric on russian speaking hits.
    At february 2020 i had a covid and it became difficult for me to sing, but a singing force it work a breath...
    And now I think that playing hits from different cultures will help me earn an addition to my pension.
    For example Chaplin's Smile on two language https://youtu.be/jBQuZFiSQfA
    or Nature Boy https://youtu.be/ifd3lG2-6wE
    But my voice has changed and i understand must proof it.
    Do you sang with Brian May?
    I did https://youtu.be/EWPW-wDGprE
    I think you can study and sing.
    Fortune to you,
    Nick