Home Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy - The PRO's Vocal Method

Head/chest confusion!!!

This may be a stupid question, but here goes.......When I'm working the scales and vowel mods and get above F or F# or so I feel my voice move to my head. is this really head voice or am I in the upper chest register?( Head voice is a new concept for me). I really feel it when doing the A-E-I-O -OO scale. The head/chest sliders at the end of the "Warrior" program teaches us how to get through the 2nd passigio to head voice, but I don't feel it as positive and I do with the above mentioned. Thank you for your response....,

Comments

• ToppcattToppcatt Pro Posts: 6
    I really want to have a better understanding of this concept before starting the next lesson.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    On sliders you will tend to slide past the passaggio. If you have a break on scales around F or so, that is most likely your secondo passaggio, and above that would be your head voice, which a lot of people also refer to as "falsetto". It's not "upper chest" if you go through a break.

It's a little easier to notice the register breaks when doing the lip burbles or the tongue exercise. These are bridging exericises, and you can feel when you go through the shifts on those exercises. You should also notice the difference in feeling on chest voice vs head voice on those exercises.

Bob
  • ToppcattToppcatt Pro Posts: 6
    Thank you highmtn for your response. I'm starting the hts volume 1 tonight to get onto those exercises. Thanks for the guidance, much appreciated.