Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Overcoming physical handicaps to be able to sing

BobbyDee77BobbyDee77 Posts: 38Pro
I didn't know where else to post this, so here it is.

Is anyone else on here dealing with physical handicaps they have to overcome to sing? The reason I ask is that I was doing real good with KTVA as I was headed into my 5th month. Then I had to pretty much get emergency oral surgery and have 12 teeth removed all at once. The downside to that is I now have a partial upper denture and have to learn how to talk properly again and chew my food. So I now have this foreign hardware in my mouth that may just be too much to deal with. I can't try to sing yet, because I had the surgery yesterday and it will take a while until the swelling goes down along with the obvious pain.

Is there anyone here the sings that has to wear partial or full dentures- or do you know somebody who does and can sing well with them? I am seriously bummed out right now. Thanks. And to all who are overcoming their handicap- I would love to hear from you and draw from your inspiring courage determination. God bless you.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 10,415Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    Hang in there, BobbyDee77. I'm sure you'll have some adjustments to make, but I think you'll be OK. I don't have any of that hardware, but I've heard some folks sing that I knew had dentures. People still loved to hear them sing.
  • Thanks. I am going to push through and see if I can sing clearly enough. I think I can do it. Thanks for your support.
  • Ok- so I am starting to get my voice back again and I decided I will not let anything stop me. I tried to put a good spin on the new hardware in my mouth (which was a huge mental obstacle for me, very negative about it) - and just said hey, it has a unique resonance to it that adds a doubling effect on the resonance I already had, which was already very full. Anything to think positive and kill negativity. Onward and upward we go.
    You can do this, Bobby.
  • You have no idea how much that kind of support means to me. Thank you, seriously thank you. If I ever get to a point where I get good enough and know exactly what I am doing, I will come here and try to help out on the board if you guys ever need it. But 1st- I have to get to the point where I think I can sing without embarrassing myself. :-) I am hitting some good notes, but my annunciation still sucks and needs a TON of work. I'm working on it. I also think I am trying to sing songs I "wish" to sing in the future, but maybe am not ready for right now. I am going to have to force myself to try some easier stuff to practice annunciation- David Bowie, Paul Rogers and leave DIO, Rob Halford, Alice in Chains etc. alone for now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I also just decided to change my DAW to REAPER and I am learning that as well. I should be able to record better with this one. The others just weren't cutting it for me anymore.
    I'm just starting to learn Reaper, as well. I haven't had time to get very far into working with it, other than turn it on and let it record.

It's pretty handy, though. I can run it on a laptop and get 32 track live recordings done of my band.
  • Cool to hear you are using Reaper as well. So far, it seems like it's solid and can get done what I want to get done, which isn't very demanding yet. I am going through the tutorials one at a time (the ones I think I will need) and leaving the features I don't need yet alone for now. Hopefully I can get started on recording this weekend. I also bought a Sennheiser e935 mic last night and did a side by side comparison with my Shure SM58's this afternoon. I can not believe how much better the e935 sounds... it actually trounced the SM58's. I'll post that in another section of the forum. Also mourning the death of one of my vox hero's- Chris Cornell's death. Unreal.