Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Larynx & Pharynx

JusticeGemJusticeGem Posts: 86Pro
Where exactly is larynx & pharynx?

I googled it and the skeletal diagram is very complicated to analyse


  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 14,206Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    Your Larynx is what is commonly called the "voicebox". It's the "adams apple" in your throat. It's a cartilage structure, and within that structure are your vocal cords and few hinged parts, as well as some tiny muscles that stretch your vocal cords and either adduct your cords together or abduct them apart.

    You have three sections on your vocal tract that are designated as a pharynx. Laryngeopharynx is the part of your vocal tract just above the larynx. Oropharynx is the area of the vocal tract in and around the mouth. Nasopharynx is the part of the vocal tract above the oropharynx, that begins at the velonasal port and continues into the nasal cavities and sinuses. These are different areas of the vocal tract where you can focus parts of the sound to resonate more or less.

    In some ways, they're just fancy ways of saying throat, mouth, and nose. But you can get more into subtleties and nuances.
  • JusticeGemJusticeGem Posts: 86Pro
    So for a better understanding
    Larynx= Throat
    Nasopharynx= Nose
    Oropharynx= Mouth

    Please correct me if im wrong
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 14,206Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    You scored 100 on the test.
  • JusticeGemJusticeGem Posts: 86Pro
    & when Ken says "pharynx" does it apply to mouth or nose?
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 14,206Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    "Pharyngeal" usually means "Wide-ways". So if you have a more "pharyngeal" shape or sound, it's more wide, like EE. EE is more "pharyngeal" sounding than AH. AH is taller. EE is wider.

    If he's saying bring the sound a little more into the smile or into the face, that would be more nasal. Mask.
Sign In or Register to comment.