Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Recovering from a cold

erwinerwin Posts: 13Pro
Hello....

I am just about to recover from a two week dreaded cold and during that period, I lost my voice. Although my cold is improving, my voice is not recovering as fast as I would like. A lot of people around me have been very sincere and offer their advice but I would like to confirm here in this forum.

Should I *not* sing and let my voice rest?

-OR-

Should I continue to do the exercises and continue to sing regardless of how horrible I sound? Also, if exercises and singing should continue, should I avoid "loud" singing?

Any other advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Erwin

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 10,879Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    "Normally" you should sing through a cold or illness. This is one time when you probably should NOT.

We should do vocal rest if we Have Laryngitis or are Hoarse: This sounds like it qualifies, because you said you lost your voice. In cases like that we should rest the voice.

We also rest the voice in the case of Bronchial infections, bad coughs, or other respiratory infections.

Otherwise, even though our voice may not be "up to par" we take an even greater setback if we don't keep singing through it. Not only do we have the effects of the cold or flu depressing our normal vocal capabilities, but we let our voices atrophy, including letting the bug have its way with our voices. When we sing through the bug, we "fight" back a little, and our return to full vocal capabilities is faster, with less of a setback.

So normally we just do our best and sing through. We don't push to force our way up to our highest notes as if we were fine, but we do make an effort to retain our voices and to not roll over and play dead. We sing.

This time, lay out, and hope for a quick recovery and no setbacks.
  • Thank you so much. I truly appreciate the valuable information. I'm glad I checked with you. Thank you again.
    You're welcome, erwin.
  • Good to read this. I don't get colds- I get full blown upper respiratory infections that quickly turn to 15-20 day bronchitis battle. I was about to take my summer vacation, and I cannot believe I got clobbered with this. I don't get this in the summer. But it happened and I am still sick, but it should be coming to an end soon.

The time off from singing really helped me to know I do really want to sing well. Sometimes an hour a day seems too much to do, along with my guitar practice and other things. But I started missing my daily workouts about one week into being sick and not able to sing.

I tried to sing here and there, but the phlegmn was just way too think to work my way through. I am going to start training tonight and just go as far as I can before the phlegmn cuts my voice off.

I also had an audition with exactly what I am looking for- a bass player and drummer to form a power trio lined up and had to cancel due to this URI. THAT is frustrating. But I believe things happen for a reason, even if those reasons seem negative at 1st glance. Hopefully I get another crack at it. the 4 songs they asked me to do are all within my range. Hopefully, I can get my voice back fairly quickly.
    Get well soon. The URI's just have to run their course.