Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Adele's voice damaged... again :(

I'm sure most of us have heard that Adele has gotten herself in vocal trouble again :neutral:

She's said now she "feels like she's got a dead rat in her throat" and has had to cancel - or at least indefinitely postpone - the final dates of her tour.

Can anyone comment with some insight into what went wrong for her this time? I had such hope for her after her problems and surgery a few years ago that she would get better technique and go down in history as a true live singing legend :neutral:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/3928668/devastated-adele-fears-vocal-cord-damage-wembley-stadium-tour/

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • MatsyMatsy Posts: 126Pro
    Hmm, I don't know why she is having problems.

I sing "Hello" as one of my practice songs and it is quite difficult to sing without raising the volume, but to let more natural resonance do the heavy lifting.

I notice in the chorus I have to be really careful with the voice as I want to blast my way through it - instead I have found that I do a much better job if I open the back of the throat and sort of "pull" the sound back into that area, so that I can get a really clear sound and not have to blast a heap of air and volume through the throat.

The first few times I sang it, I nearly destroyed my voice for a few days... but then I found this "pulling back into the throat thing" almost like yawning and now I can sing it much easier and it doesn't hurt anymore.

Perhaps she belts too much? Perhaps she needs Ken as her vocal coach? :wink:
  • @Matsy Oof! That's a heck of a song to song, even with good technique!

When I listen to Adele, it sounds like she's committing all the cardinal sins of singing - tension in the throat, poor support, squeezing out phrases, and blasting waaaaaaay to much air over the cords.

If you've got a recording of you doing Hello would love to hear it!!!!
  • MatsyMatsy Posts: 126Pro
    @KaiEllis I record myself singing most days, usually with a track of someone singing in the background. I do Hello with one of the popular male covers of it on youtube. Whenever I try posting my singing on Soundcloud though, it always gets pulled due copyright even though I am singing with someone in the background.

I don't know if YouTube will do the same. I am a bit busy this morning but I will try uploading it to YouTube later and if it is successful will post a link here to it.

There have been a few songs lately where I am reasonably proud of the job I have done and have no easy way to be able to share it all with you. I hit the three month mark a couple of weeks ago and was going to post a few tracks to show my progress... but Soundcloud said no. :pensive:
  • @Matsy Hmmmm! Is there a way you could listen to the track through one source but record into another? That way there would just be your vocal and no copyright issues. Or maybe sing to a karaoke track instead of the original?

Either way, hoping to hear something from you!