Home Off Topic

Sternum Pain

JusticeGemJusticeGem Pro Posts: 92
Can Vocal Training cause Sternum Pain at all?

I'm doing Volume 2 & 3 right now+ I also workout 5x a week
What could be the possible cause?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    That's a broad question, and you're not providing a lot of information. Chest pain can be a problem. You should ask a doctor about that. Any kind of training or physical exercise, vocal, or whatever could conceivably cause some sort of pain, depending on what you are doing, but it really shouldn't be causing any pain at all.

Coughing a lot or a fall or something like that could cause pain in the sternum. Chest expansion should not be so extreme as to take your chest beyond 3/4 full. That's not anything beyond its normal range of motion.

The main thing you would be doing with your vocal training that you might feel in your sternum would be ribcage expansion. But having your chest 1/2 to 3/4 inflated would not normally hurt your sternum, unless there were something unusual going on.

I suggest you see your doctor and make sure something serious isn't going wrong, or that you don't have an injury of some sort.
  • bwheeler0515bwheeler0515 2.0 PRO Posts: 5
    Did you ever find a reason why this could have happened? I’m working in Volume 2 applying some volume 3 concepts where Ken says “holding the breath back” which allows me to bring my chest resonance much higher in range but for some reason stretching that range gave me some soarness in my chest in the sternum region. Is this typical considering most vocal coaches consider singing a sport?