Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Cover of Sarah Bareilles's "Gravity" for vocal evaluation

https://soundcloud.com/carrie-henderson-70062622/gravity

Comments, criticism, and tips are all welcome. Thank you for listening!
Also, I don't know much about voice types other than what I've read or heard from friends, but I think I'm a lyric mezzo soprano. Does that sound right?

Comments

• blondiewalesblondiewales Posts: 196Pro
    Hey! You have a pretty neat tone and there are some cool moments in your track.

Since you asked for criticism, I'll mention there are some parts with iffy intonation. Personally, I think you'd benefit from the concept of "buzz" taught in bel canto communities and KTVA through the AH vowel. To me, it seems clear that you have plenty of talent and your mind knows what note to hit, but the support mechanisms that make up your voice haven't been trained and you sometimes go flat or sharp.

Ken describes the bright timbre best suited for singing in his course and some of his online videos. Of course, he can explain it better than I can, but the idea is to maintain a certain tone to your voice. This not only makes your pitch rock solid, but it'll majorly amp your vocal power and range... Basically making your voice just much more pleasant to hear. Not that it's unpleasant now.

I'm decent at identifying male vocal fachs but I'm afraid I don't know much about female ones. If you said you were a lyric mezzo soprano to me, I wouldn't argue it.

Anyway those are my thoughts. Keep in mind I don't work for Ken Tamplin and I'm not affiliated with his academy in any way beyond having watched his videos and course... So I'm not really biased one way or another. I'm just saying what I believe could help your vocal journey. Cheers!
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 11,665Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    @liesl16,

We do ask that you post demos or questions only in one place. Someone will get back to you. Posting the same thing in more than one place creates confusion.

I removed the extra posting of this same demo. Since there were comments here already, this version stayed.

I agree with what blondiewales said about your voice and what could help it. You have a pleasant sound and a lot of potential to harness your voice and make it do what you want it to, if you train it to a greater degree.

We're glad you're here. Stick around and join in the fun.

Bob
  • liesl16liesl16 Posts: 10Member
    highmtn said:

@liesl16,

We do ask that you post demos or questions only in one place. Someone will get back to you. Posting the same thing in more than one place creates confusion.

I removed the extra posting of this same demo. Since there were comments here already, this version stayed.

I agree with what blondiewales said about your voice and what could help it. You have a pleasant sound and a lot of potential to harness your voice and make it do what you want it to, if you train it to a greater degree.

We're glad you're here. Stick around and join in the fun.

Bob

All right, no problem! Thank you for your feedback!
  • KaiEllisKaiEllis Posts: 186Pro
    @liesl16 This is one of my favorite songs of all time! Agree with the other folks. There's some really great moments in this performance, and they'll only get better as you train the Ahhh vowel and get better breath support. Looking forward to more from you!