Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Diva's workout audio exercises

littletaeklittletaek Posts: 6Enrolled
edited January 2014 in DIVAS
Hi! I don't know where to post this but I guess it's ok to post it here.

I've been practising Volume 1 for a week. My range is sort of strange and if I sing along with Ken, lower notes are too low for me, so I join when it's comfortable.

when I sing octave higher, I can hit all the notes in Vol.1 exercises no problem (I'm using Divas' exercises, not Dude's). but with original notes i've gotta miss 4-5 lowest notes.

what range should I keep practising?? does vol. 2 cover higher notes??

Taeko

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • crscrs Posts: 46Enrolled
    Well, as you go towards certain volumes, you'll see that the range covered throughout increases.  I personally don't have Vol. 3, however I noticed that range seems to top at about A5.  I'm not sure if Bb5-C6 is covered, but I know Ken does not go any higher than that.

I'm not sure if you're looking to expand your lower range, and not sure if that's really achievable, buuut!  As far as low notes go, from my experience, never try pushing your larynx down in an effort to hit them.  Relax into them, and if they aren't very strong yet, that's fine.  But with the low notes that you already have, they will get stronger over time if you are keeping an open throat and keeping the bright AH (it's the LAH) sound as you ascend and descend.  You can only go so low, and that depends greatly on your voice.  I don't know many women personally that can go any lower than about F3 or G3 without it just becoming air afterwards.  I'm a male, and I actually have trouble singing below F3 consistently without resorting to a near airy sound.
  • thank you for your reply. those low notes are physically impossible for me unless i cheat with vocal fry. 
    Ken doesn't mention vocal fry in vol. 1 yet, so I don't use it. trying to stick with what Ken teaches us, and not bringing what i learned in the past.

• Hi Lil,

You'll have plenty to sing at vol2. ;) Ken plays scale and engourages to sing up to C6 in most divas exercises there.
  • Thanks, Pantero.

I'm moving up to Vol.2 very soon. Looking forward to it!