Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Trying to find an easy sing to learn

Hey guys so I really just wanted to ask what does one look for when choosing to pick a song to sing? Do you use sheet music when you're first starting out?

Comments

• Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Posts: 379Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO
    edited May 28
    Hi @andrewtocool im Gaston!, Well, personally, the first thing I do , is try to sing the higher parts to see if i can hit them, if i don´t, i try to figure out why, (you´ll see how in a second), the next thing i do is check how is sung live, (that means if it was possible to the singer to recreate the song exactly as in the record), I also check covers to see how other people tried to achieve it, if someone could, possibly i could too,i usually go for videos that were sung live with a cel phone or something cheap,
    In the case i am capable of singing it, I start from the beginning and check line by line what are the flaws i have, if there are some breaks in my voice, i kind of take mind notes of what i should work on, hard consonants like Q K C P T and small vowel sounds like EE and Uh to see what i should modify, also i check the style of the singer in case im gonna try to imitate a little bit his sound, or im gonna go for a personal or technical way of achieving the song, which i usually "try" to be very technical, and that makes me go through the song easier

hope this was helpful
  • DiegoDiego Posts: 359Member
    I do the exact same as Gastron.
    I try to hit the notes at first, and see which ones are off so I work on them. And I also use the forum for additional feedback. I like to listen at a particular song with the vocals only track to see how they sing it more in-depth, how they pronounce stuff.

All the best,
    -Diego