Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Linkin Park Numb

DiegoDiego Posts: 289Member

Here's a track by Linkin Park, for some reason my high notes kept "clipping" on some parts. No matter what I did, or how far I got from the mic.
Be sure to give me feedback both vocally and recording wise.
Thank you :-)
@highmtn @bentk @videoace @TommyM @Ken Tamplin @Furious_Phil @SaraLoera

Comments

• bentkbentk Posts: 786Pro, 2.0 PRO
    Very tough song to sing, so you get instant respect from me for taking this on, lol.
    My general impression: Not the best you've done, but you did pretty well, seeing how tough the song is. I also like how you sing all the parts, that's very cool.

It sounds like you are pushing too hard for the higher notes, and the distortion sounds forced as well. I think you are singing too loud to get the higher parts. Singing can get pretty loud, but not TOO loud. It sounds like you are pushing in the throat with a little too much volume, instead of pushing down with support and letting the vowels resonate. This isn't much of advice, but you really have to keep an eye (or should i say an ear?) on this. Go check out the PRO VIDEOS with Adam (dudes) and go along with the scales, listen to everything Ken says. You will find valuable advice there, about reyawning and shaping the vocal tract. I really liked a post by Gaston here recently, where he tells you to respect the space you make with the vowels. I thought that was a great saying. Trying to keep that space is very important to reduce stress and resonant more 'beautifully'.

How does it feel when you sing the chorus and other high parts like this?

You are using your vowels better than previous recordings i heard from you, so that's good.

Are you currently working on distortion within the program? If not, then i would advise you to not distort at all.

One other thing, can you sing the main vocals of the whole song in one go? I am curious for several reasons including your vocal technique right now.

Don't take any of this the wrong way, i really like it when people post their covers and original material. It takes a lot of guts. So thank you!

All the best,

Ben
  • DiegoDiego Posts: 289Member
    Yes, when I do the high notes clean, it's a lot easier and sounds more effortless. But when I use distortion is when It sounds like I'm pushing hard which I only used for a Chester-effect. I'm don't really know much about distortion, I know I must not abuse it. But I HAD to do it for this one, because It just came out "naturally" I can't think of this song without distortion haha. I tried singing the high parts clean as well with less volume, and still can't seem to stop clipping.

I actually haven't bought the program. But I do watch Kens free videos for like over a year now. I should be getting the course like early June.
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Posts: 838Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO
    Very cool piece... it may have been your mic or your gain up too high that caused the clipping possibly?
    I think the way you did the chorus distortion sounded similar as to what Chester did, whether he did it in a healthy way remains to be seen :wink:
  • bentkbentk Posts: 786Pro, 2.0 PRO
    I would refrain from any pushing in the throat, it will only work against you. Chester's voice also became less and less over the years when singing live. He could still hit the notes and all, but his voice just wasn't the same anymore.

Maybe change the 'gain' for your mic to reduce clipping? Make sure you are not reaching the high notes WITH volume. High chest belting is not soft, but you should not reach for notes with volume itself. Only use the volume that is necessary to produce the note. This is taught at KTVA too.

Very cool that you decided to get the course, enjoy it!

All the best,

Ben
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Posts: 838Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO
    Agreed @bentk !

Some mics have a "padding" to reduce some of the bass and help prevent clipping
  • blondiewalesblondiewales Posts: 217Pro
    This sounds pretty cool man. You have a nice vocal timbre and emotion... That can be hard for some people to achieve. Recently, I've become much more of a stickler regarding my own voice and I feel like it's benefited me a lot. As a result, I'll listen to this song as if it were my own voice and tell you how I'd go about improving it. Firstly, we're based in Bel canto, which literally translates to "beautiful singing" or "beautiful voice." When working on songs line by line, sing it and record it on your phone or something. Listen back. Is it beautiful, or at least on the right track? You'll know, and try not to kid yourself either. The vowel has to be buzzing in the right spot, and the line can't sound too choked. I understand this is much, much easier said than done, but I find this gives good results. Also, in rock or pop music, we can sometimes "sacrifice" the beauty of certain lines to give other emotions, like anger, desperation, or vulnerability. For a quick example, my favorite word you used in the first verse was "pressure. " It just rang in a way that's pleasant to the ear. The line remains pretty good to me until "your shoes," where it gets a little shakier. While one could argue that the pleasantness of a note will improve as the student trains, I feel like a great portion of training is improvement of technique and not just physical development. To simplify, there are things you could sing vastly better simply by changing the way you vocalize the line. You already have the strength to do it. This should come as good news to you because it implies you have untapped resources waiting literally in your brain. Going back to the line, I simply just wouldn't modify "your shoes." It's not high enough that you'll have to do that, and modifications are supposed to be fairly subtle anyway. Chester doesn't modify this line, but his resonance chambers in his throat change to accommodate the narrower vowels. As it result, it doesn't sound strained or reaching, but it is the true vowel.

That ended up being longer than I expected. I type quickly and I often end up with small novels by the time I look up. My advice is from my own experience and how I choose to interpret KTVA teachings, so take them with a grain of salt if you like. Just seeing if I can help someone out.
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Posts: 148Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO
    Hi Diego since you have a latin name i assume you speak spanish, so i think the modifications im gonna tell you are really gonna help you, to relax the throat a little bit, as blondiewales said, they are supposed to be subtle, but in my experience, i would first encourage you to open the space more even though the sound is not quite the same as Chester for now, because that way, you wouldn´t have to modify practlically nothing in the first place,

the first thing id encourage you to do to get more space is to breathe, thinking of an AH vowel already, even have the bite ready on the inhale at least for now, i know we are supposed to breathe through the nose, but in Rock its almost not possible because of the time we have to breathe between phrases, so if you are already gonna do it, help yourself with that,

second
    if you still feel tension while singing this phrases, i´d add this, this is my latin Modification version for it

Every step that I take is another mistake to you
    "i´d go as:
    Evre sdeb dad ae daeg es anaoda mesdaeg da yaooo..."

I've become so numb, I can't feel you there
    Aev becam sao namb Ae gand fel ya there

you´ll get the idea hopefully , :P this will really open it, obviously you have to make it sound as if you were saying it hehe but hope it helps
    I agree @bentk I have to learn and do it safely, because I don't want to deteriorate my voice too early.
    Thanks for the advice!
    Haha don't worry @blondiewales I love when people write long answers all the time!
    Thanks for the advice! Still learning on doing vowel modifications.
    Thanks for taking the time to listen as well!

All the best,
    -Diego
    @Gaston_Jauregui
    Yes, I am Latin.
    Indeed these do help a lot!
    I sang the lines through like these, and I feel it's so much more open. But the thing is, If I apply these modifications, do I gradually start moving consonants in as I go along practicing them with the modifications?
    It's just for the purpose of diction.

Anyways thanks for the AWESOME feedback sir!

All the best,
    -Diego
    edited June 2
    @Diego As you practice you will find that the mods are supposed to be used in percentage, not 100% pronounced and a 100% modifyed it depends on how high you are singing and how comfortable it feels, at least to me this is how i understand it, also youll find out that even though you feel your diction doesnt sound great, people dont notice it, because its not that it doesnt sound with diction, its really, you know you are not saying the words as they are supposed to be according to how you’ve sung them before, or said them before, thats what might bother you, it has a lot to do with giving the words the “intention” of the real word, that makes it sound like you said them with diction, still record yourself and try them out by percentages until sounds good, and feels good and open :)
    https://vocaroo.com/i/s0eVPDm4LXYk
    This is only a test, I still have to do the rest of the song. I want to see what you think of it so far, and what I should change. I tried some of the mods @Gaston_Jauregui gave me on some parts.
    Still have to add some background vocals as well. So it's incomplete right now.
    edited June 7
    I think it sounds pretty good man! I have to hear it with speakers but i think sounds really good!
    edited June 7
    Everything is sounding a lot smoother, so congrats for that!, but i would work on
    2nd pre chorus, it does sound as chester would sing it, but i would leave the distortion aside for now, because you are bringing the drive from your over pronouncing of vowels and consonants and thats not where glottal and hyper glottal compression comes from, its coming from lack of maintaining the space open, in the line "And every second I waste is more than I can take!"
    you close on "everY" and reopen on "sEcond" (because of the size of the vowels) and on "is more than "III" cAn take", happens again, if you pay attention while you sing it you´ll feel the space close and try to reopen on the next word both times, and you´ll feel the distortion come and go because of that, I believe that is what Ken calls a "pinched sound", but because we hear Chester sing it this way, we think its "feel" or the way it´s supposed to be distorted, it´s not

you probably have seen this video from Ken, but I want you to watch HIS mouth on each breath, what you´ll find is that every breath he takes, he respects the space of each line and then resets it.
    Also when he gets to the second pre chorus you´ll see HE NEVER closes the space and that distortion comes from a different place, not from closing the vowels
    hope this helps!

BTW the distortion does come from studying level 3 a lot, holding the breath, but I wouldn´t try to get there if you just purchased the program, take it slowly, the most important part is the support, maintaining the space, the brightness and the vowel modifications,
    the distortion is the cherry in the pie once you got this, and It will still sound awesome without distortion if you belt it right! :)