Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Audition Strategies

So I had been prepping for an audition for the last 2 weeks after being asked to replace an established band's lead guitarist.
Here's a great preparation helper! ()... it translates very well to singing also

Like Ken, I am a pretty heavy-hitter guitarist, which is a great fallback.
So what did I do to prepare?
I spent no small amount of time getting very close guitar tones to the originals... and allot of time put in to learn all the solos and rhythm parts to perfection...
Here's the clincher... I also spent a fair time learning the backup vocals to perfection!
They totally weren't expecting that, and later admitted that it opened up a whole lot of possibilities for song options! Also, there'll be more than a few pieces where I'll be singing lead.
Needless to say it was a very unanimous "YES" from all band members.

What it boils down is captured in an old military axiom: "Prior Preparation Prevents P155-Poor Performance"
Also try to be very chill and easy going, it goes a long way!

I'd like to hear your audition strategies!

Cheers from the furious one :naughty:

Comments

• cwcwcwcw Posts: 1982.0 PRO
    edited March 30
    Congrats @Furious_Phil ! Pete Thorn is one of my heroes. Anything he has to say regarding music is golden.
    Super chill, no ego, team player attitude - remember that the audience is the customer...band is there for them, not the other way around. What you did sounds perfect!
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 1,805Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management
    Hi @Furious_Phil, thanks for these insights. I can add nothing more than what you already mentioned in your post. I haven't been to an audition for more than 20 years. Hopefully I will be able to join one soon again. Doc