Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Feedback And Advices Accepted - Michelle, Time In A Bottle, Here Comes The Sun, People Are Strange

timliu92timliu92 Member Posts: 65
Hi All,

I am Timothy, an engineer who is also an aspiring intermediate vocalist. I have been singing for quite a while and am a high baritone with a tessitura of about E2 - F#4 although I can access G4 or A4 (which are notes that are within my passaggio) too on a very good day. My objective is to become the best singer I can be as well as expand my repertoire as a vocalist (up until now, I have been singing a lot of high baritone tunes from the likes of Elvis, Buble, Sinatra or Lennon while having to transpose tenor tunes by about a tone or a tone and a half).

At the same time, recently I have discovered KTVA and had been doing a few vocal exercises based on Master Ken's advice (i.e. a bright sound is the sound that helps to grow one's voice). Knowing that Master Ken is a high baritone himself, I want to know more of his secrets in having not only such a wide vocal range but also a versatile tone than encompasses various genres from the likes of Ed Sheeran and Bruno Mars to Freddie Mercury and Robert Plant.

As an example of my singing, attached are covers of Michelle by The Beatles and Time In A Bottle by Jim Croce (forgive the slight crackling sounds of my chair on the latter because it was recorded casually), as well as video covers of Here Comes The Sun by The Beatles and People Are Strange by The Doors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo3j3Wf2qlc
Here Comes The Sun cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzKy3OcMNHg
People Are Strange cover

Note that on my Soundcloud clips, I did not apply much effects except a little of bit EQ and compression. Also, the YouTube covers were done last year, while the Soundcloud recordings were done much more recently.

I am highly interested to know what you all think, with possible evaluations and feedbacks when needed. At the same time, I also am looking for any advices on how to ensure that I can gradually expand my vocal range and repertoire possibilities while still having my own style as a singer.

Thanks all!

Regards,
Tim

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited September 2015
    All four of these tunes sound really good, Tim. Your breath support is good, your pitch is spot-on, and you sound comfortable in the tunes.

One thing that I did notice that you might want to think about is that you are using a lot of consonants and they are emphasized a bit more than you really have to do. That can interfere with the vowels that you are singing on and chops up the lyrics more than they have to be.

The way to expand your range is to do exercises like Ken's on a daily basis, and keep pushing your limitations to the next level.

All the Best!

Bob
  • timliu92timliu92 Member Posts: 65
    Hi Bob,

Thanks for that feedback! It is highly useful, and I also acknowledge that consonants were an issue. The only problem I am having now is that every time I try to emphasize on vowels, my consonants are not as crisp clear although those higher notes are easier to tackle. Do you have any possible solutions on this problem?
  • timliu92timliu92 Member Posts: 65
    edited September 2015
    @blondiewales Hey thanks!

Frankly speaking, I actually did not start singing with great pitch control to begin with. I just practiced it through and through and had been immersing myself in several singing activities such as bands, karaokes, acoustic performances, and lately choirs, where the latter really motivated and pushed me to be extremely accurate with my pitch (I cannot be a few cents flat or sharp or the section will not be in tune). In terms of performance experience, I can say I have a pretty decent amount on stage. I also worked with 3 vocal coaches throughout my life, where I am still working with the latter, who introduced me to classical technique and really corrected a lot of my bad habits such as trying to 'hit' a high note instead of approaching it from the top or locking my jaw when going for one. In addition, he also enforced me to use my core support a lot more. I also learnt a bit of sight-singing from the score (I am still terrible and sloppy at it, but it really enforces me to be very careful with my intervals), which helps to make me very sensitive with any case of intonation that sounds a little suspect.

With that being said, my vocal range so far could only hit an A4 at maximum (with a little bit of strain), and I had been transposing tenor tunes to ensure that I could sing them more easily without struggle. However, since Master Ken is a fellow high baritone himself, I really want to know his perspective and secrets in being a monster of a vocalist, because I believe that if he can do it, there has to be a way. :)
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Most vocalists that don't know better try to over-enunciate the words out of fear that they will be criticized for poor diction.

That is the opposite of the way you should approach consonants.

Your singing takes place on vowels. You are singing, not giving a speech or teaching enunciation. So sing, and let the vowels do the singing. Take the more musical approach.