Hey Dudes and Divas!

Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forum, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA forum - the rest of the forum is hidden from view.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

What happened to Bon Jovi?!

Hey guys,

I just happened to see one of Bon Jovi's live performances in Seoul, Korea, and was completely shocked... He was struggling throughout his own song 'Always', struggling to hit the high parts, struggling for breath, and going flat many times.

Here's the link:

Does anyone know why this is happening? This is way different from his past, when his high notes used to sound so sharp and accurate, and he hardly needed to gasp for breath like that... It seems like a 360 degree change!

It can't be that he has a sore throat right? I saw somewhere in the forums that one should still be able to sing through sickness (unless he/she has lost their voice)...

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 9,678Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    I don't know what might be happening with his voice recently. I haven't heard about this previously. I hope this was only a bad night for him. It is sounding as you said. Jet lag?
  • @highmtn Hi Bob, I did some quick research and it seems that he used steroids to keep his voice in shape as he strained/ 'oversang' too much in some tours and had to quickly recover his voice to keep up with the busy schedules. Watching his 1991 live performances up till around 2006 really brings back memories...he used to sing with such power and ease!

Apparently he also revealed recently that he's been drinking way too much... Really sad story and this was the first time I actually saw one of my favorite singers lose his voice :( (Steven Tyler of Aerosmith sobered up and got his voice back so it was nowhere as bad)
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 9,678Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    Wow. That is sad.

The thing about using the steroids... That's why Ken says to not become dependent on using things like ibuprofen to reduce swelling in the cords. You can also sing too hard and not realize you may be doing so, due to the numbing effects of anti-inflammatories.

Bob

• I don't know anything about the cause but he's been like this consistently for at least a few years now.
  • blondiewalesblondiewales Posts: 145Pro
    edited October 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Yeah, I think Jon has been off his game for quite a while now. It might have a gradual decline, but in my opinion his vocal power peaked around "Slippery When Wet" came out. Always was recorded long before it was released. Jon has said in the past that he deliberately avoids singing the song often because it is taxing on his voice.

In my opinion, Richie Sambora was always the better singer and musician (and maybe person). Back in the day though, they both sounded excellent on the record. I feel like I should follow up with this: can I do better than that right now? Probably not.

By the way, as far as I know, a serious flu or cold will weaken your voice regardless of what technique you use. You can definitely sing through it, but I don't know of any way to sound the same all the time, even through illness.