Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Throat feeling itchy and started coughing after warm up.

XHellChrisXHellChris Posts: 16Pro
edited June 24 in The Singer's Lobby
I was doing fine with doing the warm ups everyday until today. I was doing the 2nd lip drill exercise of volume 1 halfway until my throat started feeling itchy and started coughing all of a sudden, why is it so? Is it a sign that I should take a break and rest for the day?
I only went through the audio workout once today and only stretched my chest voice. I haven't went through it the second time to practice my passagio. Is there any way to compensate it if I'm resting for the day? Like maybe only go through the audio workout tomorrow to balance things out?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Posts: 11,525Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    You don't want to overdo it tomorrow for the loss of today.

I have had bad allergic reactions to pollen the past few days. I don't know what it's like where you live, but where I am there is record-breaking pollen levels, making everybody itch and sneeze, with coughs and runny noses. It comes and goes, depending on the weather and whether you're indoors, outdoors, in air-conditioning, etc...

So your vocal disturbance could be from something besides your singing. If it is your singing, it most likely comes from using too much air or too much volume. But you may not be having problems from your workouts at all. Only normal problems that affect the voice and your respiratory system.
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Posts: 252Moderator, Pro
    edited June 28
    I had this too... I would add to Bob's post with "Hydrate the heck out of yourself while you're practicing"... doubly so when you're performing.
    Also, if you have a feeling it might be allergy-related, try using something like Reactine or something like that.