Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Beginner after one week

Hi,
I am an absolute beginner, I never sing before but I like music and wanted to learn to sing, so I came here(weekend warrior-HTS-pro). At this moment I am on the weekend warrior part, after a few days I noticed an improvement in singing high notes and the sound is brighter. I am slowing moving from 'not able to sing' or sing false to be aware when the sound is not good and/or with practicing comes to a better sound.
I did not expect that I noticed this already after a week, so I am very happy with this program!
I still have a lot to learn, but I'm glad to get to know this program.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Posts: 11,284Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    Awesome, Afrak! You will notice even more changes as you continue to work Ken's program. You haven't even seen the tip of the iceberg yet!

Thanks for updating us!

Bob
  • gregorypaigegregorypaige Posts: 4Pro
    edited August 20
    There is no way a beginner can do these warmup exercises on Vol 1 !!
    It seems like he is going on and on and on to show how good he is rather than inspire or lead a novice. I am not a good singer, admittedly, but I in decent shape cardivascular-wise, but these "warmups" are enough to make me lightheaded and not wanting to continue.
  • LuffyLuffy Posts: 11Pro
    @gregorypaige Maybe you're getting too tense during the warm ups. You should try take them easier and only do as much as you're able for until you get better. I know you definitely shouldn't be light headed from them, or even close.

edited August 20
    @gregorypaige,

Not all students are alike. I notice that you haven't submitted any demos to ask for help. Let's hear you in the Volume 1 student area, on a couple of Volume 1 exercises, so we can help you.
  • gregorypaigegregorypaige Posts: 4Pro
    Thanks for the responses.I was just venting my frustrations the other day, I guess. I don't dig whiners and I certainly came off as one. I guess I should know better than to think I can keep up with Ken, right off the bat. I just assumed that what he was showing, was what needed to be done in order to get any benefits. That's probably not correct, hopefully. I will do the exercises the same as I would any other muscle building exercise from now on and just gradually increase the degree of difficulty. I'll also post a video and hopefully get some constructive criticism to help me along.
    There you go. Your approach to the course will make a huge difference in what you can accomplish. There is work involved, and sef-evaluation, as well as feedback from your peers and the moderators.

Ken's methods do work. You can be successful with this program if you try.

We'll help you to succeed.

All the Best!

Bob
  • acrumlyacrumly Posts: 2Pro
    Hey All,

Talk about a challenge, if I can do it, anyone can. You should see the X-Rays of my neck after a C4-C5 fusion. What a mess, screws, and metal plates right behind my vocal cords.
    I know it sounds bad but I have been singing in the car and karaoke all my life and I'm now 53.
    I am also a bass player and just started playing in a band recently that leaned on me to sing as well, So here I am.
    I found right away that I do have a pretty good voice tone wise but have some pretty bad habits that need your assistance. After a week I did find it less stressful on my voice and I'm not blowing myself out as much. I can now sing in the band setting and I'm not as horse the next day. The one thing Ive noticed is the exchange to the head voice is much smoother. After my neck surgery it took me about a year and a half to be able to swallow anything without water and anything resembling a High note gone.

Thank you for helping me, so far so good, I see improvement every day.

Tony