Home Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy REVIEWS

First live performance in 20 years!!!

Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
Well, This past Saturday marked the first time I've performed live in a little over 20 years, and ironically it was with the same bandmates I last performed with :smiley:
We formed the power trio called "Ground Zero" about a year and a half ago and cover everything from Stevie Wonder to the Lynch Mob, so I have to really watch that I don't overdo it getting the rasp/distortion of Oni Logan right before I have to clean up and go all mo-town vocals on pieces like Higher Ground or Superstition (The music is more hard rock, but the vocals maintain the Motown feel).

Anyway, we did a set at a house/Halloween party and first off, I had totally forgotten the charge one gets while interacting with an audience!
Secondly, I was getting pulled aside afterwards and getting praised on both my guitar wizardry, but even moreso on my vocals!!
The first few compliments felt very nice to hear, but the following dozen made me stop and think... Have I really grown that much in a year?
(FYI: I just celebrated my 1 year anniversary as a student of the KTVA)
One of the people that talked to me after the set knew what I sounded like a year a year and a half ago when the band first got together, and he basically asked what the hell happened to my voice! His eyes welled up and he hugged me. (I was gobsmacked)
For reference, a year and a half ago was a time when the other bandmates were regularly bringing in other singers so I could "focus more on my guitar playing"... if you catch my drift. This person insisted I told him who/where I got my training from, to which I told him and gave him the link.

Long story short, this exceeded my deepest desires that someone might actually take notice and enjoy the music we performed and maybe, just possibly notice the hundreds of hours I've spent on the KTVA program. I am humbled by the experience, and driven to continue on with the process of developing my voice to the next level.

Comments

• That's awesome. I love to hear/see stories like this. Sounds like it was a really great night.
    Congrats on your one year anniversary also.

Peace, Tony
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Phil,

You have gone through the first phase of the KTVA CHANGE. It doesn't stop here. It just keeps on going, for as long as you keep working on Ken's exercises and methods. You'll see, in a year or two, what I mean. It just keeps growing. Tone. Range. Finesse. Surprises!

Happy KTVA Birthday to you!

Bob
  • AlvisAlvis Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 117
    Way to go! Thanks for sharing this encouraging story and do keep up the good work! I can also see the progress I've made over the past year since I started the program.

Good singing to you and happy anniversary!

Alvis
  • Claude77Claude77 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 213
    It’s so good to read such stories. My congratulations to your growing. I am at month 8th into my KTVA and I feel so good about it. Let’s keep the good work.
    C.
  • MagusMagus Pro Posts: 28
    Congratulations on a successful performance :smiley:
    I haven't had the guts to perform live, but I admire the courage and position you're in :smile:
    Good luck with future endeavors!
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    edited November 2017
    Thank you all for the kind words!

I, for one, can't wait to hear the difference another year will make...
    For what its worth, at 1 year in, my training regimen consists of:
    - Day 1 Volume 3 for chest development/maintenance
    - Day 2 Volume 4 in the Pro-Course for head voice development.
    - (I keep alternating them through the week)
    - I do volume 2 as a warmup on the drive to the rehearsal location
    ~ This seems a very nice training balance for me at this point.

My current gear is pretty basic, with a Sennheiser E835 (Hoping to move up to a Sennheiser E945 for Christmas) through a Helicon VoiceLive Play feeding dual lines (Stereo) into the board. Very huge stereo sound delivered with that Sennheiser clarity we all know and love :smiley:

"Change is hardest at the beginning, messiest at the middle and best at the end." ~ Robin S. Sharma
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    What a great story i must say @Furious_Phil

It's not only inspiring, but also reassuring to see how far people get with KTVA. I bet you are real proud, and you should be. You really pleased the crowd! I hope to be able to do the same one day!

Thanks so much for sharing, great read!

All the best,

Ben
  • GypsysingerGypsysinger Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 57
    Congratulations @Furious_Phil !

That's awesome man! So glad to hear your first experience back playing live was a huge success.

All the best.

Ward
  • olskoololskool Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 68
    Amazing Phil. Proud of you on that.
    There's nothing better when someone notices the difference. That wee extra boost goes a long way. It's like what I was saying to someone the other day. It only take one person in a crowded room to say something nice at the end of your gig to make your day.
    Keep going man. Stories like this inspire everyone.
    Next gig is in May... so hopefully it goes as well :smiley:
    Actually I have a solo pre-Christmas gig at a retirement home mid-december, where I'll be going full acoustic. That should prove interesting...
  • onalethataonalethata Member Posts: 4
    inspiring indeed @Furious_Phil i wish also one day to do a live performance
    Well, the pre-Christmas performance at a local Senior's home went well!
    Just me, my Larrivee acoustic, and my Sennheiser e835 through my VoiceLive Play unit.
    I played some classical acoustic accompaniment to a very talented pianist, as well as a few solo pieces like "Fields of Gold" and "Hard Sun", that went over very well.
    Interestingly enough they asked if I could play something non-Christmas based, as they were sick to death of it at that point... LOL
    I did my best to give them what they wanted, and entertain them while I did it :-)
  • olskoololskool Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 68
    @Furious_Phil I do the retirement homes too. I do a small raffle half way through with small bars of chocolate as prizes, sometimes jelly babies, liquorice alsorts. Things like that. Spend about £3-£4 that's all but man, it really makes there day. I don't charge anything for the raffle. It's hardly a loss.
    But these wee gigs are so rewarding. Good on ye man. It's what it's all about.
    I went in with my Wife's gym owners, so our gift was in the form of helpful mobility increasing stretch routines, and of course some funny banter :-p
  • AlyonaAlyona Member, Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 288
    That's awesome!

Well, looks like I have another accompanied acoustic gig coming up at the end of the month. Here's the kicker, its the closing ceremony of a fitness challenge with a Hawaiian theme (The winner gets a trip there actually)... the music is all either Hawaiian or is backed with a ukulele to Hawaiianize it :wink:

I am starting to think I should invest in a modest PA system at this point B)

Wish me luck!
    Great to hear @Furious_Phil !

Maybe we can get some audio or video? ;)

I wish you all the best.

Ben
    Well, I am looking into purchasing a small(ish) PA system... and one of the prerequisites is that is have a direct-out so I can grab a mixed recording right off the board :-)
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,154
    Wish I could get a trip to Hawaii now lol.
    Could use some time to relax.
    @Furious_Phil

I am curious to see what you will settle with for a PA system. I have some ideas what i would get myself.

All the best,

Ben
    I just landed a nice little Fender Passport 500 with speaker stands.
    Very compact, and about the same weight as my tube amp head.
    500 watts with a very decent clean signal... with the TC Helicon VoiceLive Play, its pretty sweet! Not big enough for a bar/club, but totally fine for a coffee house or other smaller venue. B)
    ... or the odd Friday night karaoke blitz in my house :p
    I have seen those Fender Passports when browsing the internet for PA systems, they look pretty neat! Do you use a separate mixer? I'm a bit of noob when it comes to this stuff, slowly learning.

I was thinking of putting together my own PA set with 2 speakers, a woofer, and a mixing panel.

This is perhaps not the thread for this, we can make a new one if needed.

All the best,

Ben
    It has a small mixer and EQ built in, but can accept a larger more powerful unit as well Also has an output for a powered Woofer/sub
  • aamaam Pro Posts: 3
    @Furious_Phil es muy bueno encontrar historias como las tuyas.ayudan a seguir progresando y no bajar los brazos.
    @aam Gracias! Este es un largo viaje para mí.
  • RretamozaRretamoza 2.0 PRO Posts: 1
    That's great man.