Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Humidity

What does low or high humidity do to the voice?
I live in Michigan surrounded by fresh water, and it can get pretty humid here. In the summer, humidity levels get as high as 95%, and as low as 45%.
In the winter, it is usually 65% - 45%.

Peace, Tony

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Posts: 11,656Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    Low humidity will dry you out and you have to drink a lot more water to stay hydrated. High humidiy can give you problems with sinus infections or mold. In the wintertime a lot of vocalists will run a humidifier to try to keep a little moisure in the air because of all the heaters going that dry everything out.
  • videoacevideoace Posts: 272Pro
    My sinuses are a big issue. That is basically why I asked about humidity. Right in the middle of singing (sometimes) my nose will just pour, and I have to wait a while until I get it back under control.

Peace, Tony
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Posts: 365Moderator, Pro
    I can speak to this as well, as I was born and raised at sea-level right by the Bay of Fundy (Atlantic), so my guitars and I were used to this. I had allot of sinus infections and breathing issues. Average humidity was between 50%-75% or higher.

3 years ago I moved clear across the country to Alberta (Border of Montana for my American friends). The change was to an arid climate and a full kilometer higher in elevation!

This took me about a year to adjust to, but now I don't get sick nearly as often, but I really have to hydrate myself as it ranges to a max of 40% humidity here in the summer and 20%-30% in the winter.