Humidity

What does low or high humidity do to the voice?
I live in Michigan surrounded by fresh water, and it can get pretty humid here. In the summer, humidity levels get as high as 95%, and as low as 45%.
In the winter, it is usually 65% - 45%.

Peace, Tony

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Posts: 14,653Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    Low humidity will dry you out and you have to drink a lot more water to stay hydrated. High humidiy can give you problems with sinus infections or mold. In the wintertime a lot of vocalists will run a humidifier to try to keep a little moisure in the air because of all the heaters going that dry everything out.
  • My sinuses are a big issue. That is basically why I asked about humidity. Right in the middle of singing (sometimes) my nose will just pour, and I have to wait a while until I get it back under control.

Peace, Tony
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Posts: 1,352Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO
    I can speak to this as well, as I was born and raised at sea-level right by the Bay of Fundy (Atlantic), so my guitars and I were used to this. I had allot of sinus infections and breathing issues. Average humidity was between 50%-75% or higher.

3 years ago I moved clear across the country to Alberta (Border of Montana for my American friends). The change was to an arid climate and a full kilometer higher in elevation!

This took me about a year to adjust to, but now I don't get sick nearly as often, but I really have to hydrate myself as it ranges to a max of 40% humidity here in the summer and 20%-30% in the winter.
  • kylevox1987kylevox1987 Posts: 172.0 PRO
    Just found this thread...I have an issue with humidity in my house ranging from 60-70% and above at times at the moment, which I know is a haven for dust mites which I'm allergic to! Looking at getting a dehumidifier to keep it under control 50% is the healthiest level so I hear. I seem to have issues with post nasal mucus / mucus on my cords etc at the moment so I'm guessing this is the cause guys?
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Posts: 9082.0 PRO
    @kylevox1987 have you tried using a neti pot? it really makes my seasonal allergies so much more bearable
  • kylevox1987kylevox1987 Posts: 172.0 PRO
    @Klaus_T I have one called Neilmed Sinus Rinse if you've heard of that? Do you do it on a gig day? Or do you do it on non-singing days?
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Posts: 9082.0 PRO
    i do it for hayfever, so whenever i feel i need it, i do it. you can really do it anytime. i don't think it has any negative side-effects for singing, so it should be safe anytime