Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Pitch Problems: Off an Octave

I recently discovered I'm off pitch for every note - an octave below. So now I'm working on training pitch using various app on my iPhone and a few Pitch tracks. After a few days I'm learning it's going to take a long time to correct my brain to produce the correct pitch.

Here's the video with Pitch help that I bought for 2 bucks:

In the meantime, I guess I can continue the scales and strive to listen to the tones until I develop this correct pitch.

Are there any suggestions on this? If I go after developing pitch every few hours, day after day: I wonder how long it will take to develop?

Comments

• stratmanstratman Posts: 279Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO
    @rickyogima pitch issues can be very frustrating. I’m also strugglin but improving. Ken has videos on improving pitch in his course. I wouldn’t recommend the video you posted as it’s for a different purpose i.e. perfect pitch is the ability to name the notes of sounds we hear. Very few people are able to learn perfect pitch and it’s not particularly helpful for singing.

For singing, we need to know how to match notes i.e. the ability to sing a note we can hear. We do not need to know the name of the note, just be able to sing it so it sounds tuneful and pleasant.

Rob
  • rickyogimarickyogima Posts: 50Member
    yea thanks @stratman and I do have the course and will work on the (Better Pitch) videos without using that videos as an only reference
  • videoacevideoace Posts: 890Pro, 2.0 PRO
    Have you tried using the piano scales instead of singing along with Ken?

Do you practice with headphones, or open air? If you use headphones you should feel both your vocals, and the sound coming from the headphones resonate together in your head, and it may help.

Some people also have trouble with the harmonics of the octave, and process it differently.

I would try using the piano only scales to do my exercises to see if that helps first.

Maybe try doing three octave scales until you get used to the differences. Something like: A3 to A4 to A5.

Or do you're scales in both the lower octave, and then the higher correct octave until you get used to feeling the sensation of matching the tone with the correct octave pitch.

Just a few suggestions.

Peace, Tony

yea thanks @videoace , that's what I've been doing with the apps and have found them pretty useful for training. I haven't considered toggling between the two octaves which is helpful. I've just switched to using headphones and didn't want to have to get this technical and intense in training with one note at a time but it works I'll do it up, lol. I have been seeing some progress but it's pretty slow
  • blondiewalesblondiewales Posts: 213Pro
    @rickyogima Hey, I noticed your thread because of the interesting title but didn't remember to respond until now.

So, I haven't heard an example of your singing, but I'm going to go ahead and say that you're probably not "off" an octave. This would mean you would deviate from melodies by a huge amount... to the point where they're unrecognizable. It's common, especially for males, to sing the octave below a melody naturally because they don't feel like they can sing it well in the original octave. So, you may or may not have pitch problems, but I don't know if singing an octave below a note is inherently a pitch issue.

How long have you been listening to the video? Are you noticing an improvement in your pitch? I'd be curious as to feedback on something like that for training perfect ABSOLUTE pitch (the ability to recognize and identify notes), but I think you're looking for improved RELATIVE pitch (to help you sing on key, basically). These don't necessarily go hand-in-hand. I have friends who have perfect absolute pitch, but are not exactly great singers. They can sing fairly well, just not amazingly. The video you posted is an interesting concept, but it gives me a headache when I listen for a few minutes. If you're feeling up to it, I'd like to hear a recording of you singing. Just about anything would do.
    edited January 24
    hello @blondiewales and friends. Yea I didn't know how to put all the learning into terms but it's getting better. For most my life I sang all over the place jumping from high to low whenever I sang a church song. I always thought I was a low singer and turns out I might be a Tenor. This video cleared a lot of things up for me. And after doing the scales for over a month I finding more control and now singing in the C4 whereas before I was always singing or trying to sing in the C3 zone.

Cannot post videos from non-KTVA teaching.

Anyhow, I hope you are doing well.
  • videoacevideoace Posts: 890Pro, 2.0 PRO
    The video doesn't work with Ken's techniques. They are singing from the chest, and they are compensating in volume where we use technique.
    Beside, this course covers everything so no need for outside trainers with different techniques.

Peace, Tony

edited January 24
    Okay @videoace I wasn't commenting on the technique but using it to explain how when I first started to sing I was singing at very low level and wasn't able to explain it - that video helped me to understand a few things.