Home SHOW TIME - Band Rehearsals and Performance Day!!!
Options

New School year for choir, where do i belong?

So the new school year is coming along where I am from, and I was wondering what section of the choir I should sing in. There is absolutely no guys in choir except for me, so there is no tenor or bass sections. For the past two years I sang in the Soprano section, but is this damaging or hindering my progress with KTVA? My voice is naturally high pitched and I think I would call myself a countertenor or a male soprano. Should I sing in the alto section this year. Just curious

Comments

• Options
    MichaelMagnusMichaelMagnus Volume 1 Posts: 14
    The simple answer is to sing where it's comfortable.

One thing to be concerned with is head voice. If you sing in head voice a lot, Ken does say that this will atrophy your chest voice. You say you're a male soprano, but I'm not too familiar with the traditional vocal ranges. Is your chest voice in the female soprano range?
  • Options
    ChrisRobinSingsChrisRobinSings Pro Posts: 55
    edited August 2013
    I believe so :) if not then a high tenor
  • Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357

One thing about choirs is that they are all about blending, not standing out from the crowd.  Even if you sang baritone or bass, you would need to blend in and be part of the whole, rather than out standing in your field. 

Where would you fit in to the choir that you are wanting to sing in?

Bob

• Options
    edited August 2013
    I would think soprano 2 or alto . I dont want to lose my chest voice.
  • Options
    KokonuhtKokonuht Member, Enrolled Posts: 658
    I think it's totally fine to sing in choirs using your head voice. Come back and do KTVA workouts on chest and everything should be fine :). As long as you don't totally neglect your chest voice. 

Side note, are you using your head voice to sing in the soprano range? Is your head voice breathy?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Yes I use my head voice for the soprano range and it is bright and healthy but I can make it sound breathy :)@kokonuht
  • Options
    KokonuhtKokonuht Member, Enrolled Posts: 658
    That should be totally fine as long as it is bright and healthy. Just don't forget to workout your chest voice too :) I doubt it will affect your ktva progress at ALL as long as you remember to come back and work the chest voice.

Alto or Soprano? Whichever you want to :) As long as you remember to workout your chest voice ;)
  • Options