Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

How relative are vocal stamina and range??

Hello.

Recently I've realized that, during the scale, I can repeatedly hit C5 and C#5. I used to think that, by the time I am able to hit those notes in scale, songs that hit E4 and F#4 repeatedly would be a piece of cake. It's not apparently haha. I really have to pace myself when singing songs that only go up to F#4 as its highest note, though repeatedly hitting E4 and F#4 back and forth. Is this mainly because I have not yet built the stamina that I need to sing that particular song? Like, I still sometimes crack if I don't actively control my air--which is something I should be doing anyway--and that just kind of discourages me. Again, my throat feels fine even if I sing the scales and songs for 2~3 hours. Never been hoarse or sore, but I still crack at times.

Is it normal for me to still crack on those "low notes" even when I can stretch my chest voice up to C5 in scales?

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    You always have to manage your air and support the notes you are singing, or they will fall apart, whether low or high. It takes time to build stamina, and most stamina will come from support.

Range and stamina both require practice and work to build.
  • Options
    EnglishTea123EnglishTea123 Enrolled Posts: 80
    I see. It really is a bad habit of mine that I should get rid of to think that, by unlocking higher ranges, lower notes are going to get easier. If nothing else, today's practice was a good reminder for me. I can know that it's the matter of stamina because, when I sing the song with only vowel sounds, I can sing with great ease, but it's the manipulation of the consonants that I have yet to figure out how to control.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    So a good way to go is to try to minimize the consonants when you do use them.
  • Options
    EnglishTea123EnglishTea123 Enrolled Posts: 80
    @highmtn

Also, I think I always forget to keep the velocity and volume the same when I'm singing songs. For practice, that is. Well, I've rarely, if ever, heard a singer suddenly blast more air and get much louder. All the good singers I know seem to sing within reasonable volume and they tend to keep the volume relatively the same. Like they don't suddenly go like, "I'll be your LIFE LINE tonight" or something like that.