Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

End goal for your workouts

bentkbentk Posts: 969Pro, 2.0 PRO
Hi all,

I will post this here as it's related to the 'final stages' of KTVA. And the search bar doesn't seem to work well with too many terms in the search.

When you have arrived at head voice, and are very experienced with VOL3, you will be doing both, and then you'll end up with the VOL5 information.
I have read some posts of @highmtn about changing around the time you spend on certain aspects of your voice during your workouts. However, it's not so easy to find those again.

So i am integrating head voice workouts into my somewhat custom VOL3 workouts (i do some stamina things etc.). What I'm doing now (as I have read something similarly suggested) is taking about an hour (60-70 minutes) and dividing that hour into bridging (including warmup), head voice exercises and of course chest exercises. However, by doing this, you will spend less on chest and head voice. Is that really ok? I don't seem to be noticing any decay at all. For now i spend max. 10-15 minutes on head voice, so that leaves a good 20 minutes for bridging and chest. I guess i'm more used to a good 30 minutes on bridging and chest.

Really interested on anyone's opinion on this. @highmtn also suggests at least reaching a C5 in chest before going to head voice exercises, so that shouldn't be an issue. I can go around D#5 and E5 (not so easily on every type of scale) and maintain some chest quality before completely handing off to head voice. Therefore i would think i am well within a good 'growth' of the voice so to speak.

So, is spending less time on chest and bridging enough for upkeep? will progress simply be slower? (i don't see my chest voice stretching much further, but i'll let it surprise me).

All the best,

Ben

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Posts: 13,750Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    We all have to decide how much time we are willing to spend on our daily workouts.

Many of the posts where we talk about spending less time on stretching or bridging are posts where someone says "I only have 60 minutes a day. What do I do?" Some don't even have an hour per day.

That person would need to divide their time amongst the priorities and their "whole" workout has to be made up of shorter segments, by their own imposed time limit.

If you have the luxury of time to spend, I would wholeheartedly suggest you maintain your full workouts and simply extend your workouts to include ample time on each component. That would be ideal IF you can budget that time. More time stretching, more time bridging, now add head voice for a while, then later add mix workouts. You could be doing 2 hours per day. If you don't have 2 hours per day, then you work with the time you DO have and make the best of it.

It's your time. You have to decide how much of it you can spend on training your voice. You will be the one who benefits from spending more time working on it, or not.
  • bentkbentk Posts: 969Pro, 2.0 PRO
    Thanks for the response!

I might try and extend my workout sessions a little after seeing what you said here. Just to add in those few extra scales.
    The only thing that lingers is: Will i still improve with 60 minutes per day, but just slower as opposed to 90 minutes or more?

• Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Posts: 509Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO
    @bentk I believe you would improve more on the 90 min session,

I believe that it depends on what you are lacking, I sometimes feel im lacking mix voice, and sound really loud, so I focus on mix, then I start to feel that I can´t belt the really high notes so I go back to Chest, and so on, as @highmtn Bob says if I have the time I might work on everything, but usually I don´t have the luxury of doing that, Ken once told me he does 2 hours a day,so he probably goes through everything
  • bentkbentk Posts: 969Pro, 2.0 PRO
    edited June 29
    No doubt that 90 minutes would be better. But 90+ minutes, 5+ days a week or more is probably not something i will be doing. But i wonder if 60 minutes is also fine, but will just be a slower process. I have noticed a dramatic change in my voice and it's still getting better, so i get the idea i am doing something right, but it just might be a little slower.
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 13,750Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    Even if you only had 20 minutes a day or 15 minutes a day, you would make progress, or at least hold back from backsliding. If you can only do 60 minutes a day, you will still make progress. More than 15 or 20 minutes, but not as much as if you did 90 or 120 minutes. Of course, if you are doing a poor job of practicing incorrectly, you are not gaining at all, even if you did 4 hours a day of poor-quality practice.

It's all relative to how much time you spend, how accurately you do the exercises, how much attention and focus you are actively applying.

So put in as much as you can afford to and make the best use of the time you have to spend. Stay interested and engaged in your practice. Be present in the moment. Focus. Listen. Sing.