Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

"Digging a Ditch" acoustic cover

jamespleasestopjamespleasestop Member, STREAMING PRO Posts: 29
Quickly laid this down today. Not sure what the conventions are re producing, it was a single take all into a single track with some compression, noise reduction, tiny bit of reverb and some eq for warmth. Sorry if I should be posting it "raw".

I'm waiting to accrue some wife credits before I spring for the course, but it's definitely going to happen. Thought I'd check out the community a bit first too :)

Feedback welcome and appreciated.

Comments

• jamespleasestopjamespleasestop Member, STREAMING PRO Posts: 29
    Self-critique: I struggled with breath support on many of the higher notes (even though they're not high), should have had clearer diction for a few phrases that were muddled and pitch was a bit shaky in a few places.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Diction isn't a big thing. What's important is how you use the vowels, and in a lot of cases, how you can better minimize the consonants. We're not big on forcing people to put up barenaked vocal tracks. We do want to be able to hear you clearly in the mix, and this is just fine, in that respect, quite good, in fact. If you had specific questions about vocal technique, we might ask you to bring the guitar down, but just as it is is fine for end-product artistic demonstration purposes.

Support is usually the culprit when there are any shaky notes.
  • KaiEllisKaiEllis Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 215
    So much soul here. What really impresses me about this rendition is that you do so much with so little. The song doesn't use a ton of range or dynamic shifts, which makes it mind blowing that you milked as much emotion and artistry out of it as you did.
  • streeterstreeter Pro Posts: 679
    From an audience perspective, this sounds awesome and inspires a mood and anatmosphere... great warmth and melancholy. you could get on stage with this, no worries.

From an analytical point of view, watch your descending phrases. They deviate off pitch a little, not enough to take away from your performance at all, in fact, it kind of suits the tune.