Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Next time you're feeling "too old" to sing or perform - read this.

NigelNigel Posts: 138Administrator
Hey guys,

I have this discussion with Ken on a semi regular basis, how age relates to the ability to perform.  Well, even though I can't sing my way out of a paper bag (I'm just the web guy and administrator) I have been in the music business as a photographer for a long time and one of my favorite bands is Motorhead.

Before you laugh, I want you to check out their tour schedule and remember that lead vocalist and bassist Lemmy is 66 years old and tours around the world continually and records a new album every two years.  Also remember that his style of "singing" is extremely stressful.

Just remember, you are never too old - check out tour schedule, current and past:  Motorhead Tour Schedule

I hope you get a chuckle and some motivation from this :)

Nigel

Comments

• KokonuhtKokonuht Posts: 658Member, Enrolled
    edited March 2012
    Hahaha thanks for the info Nigel! I'll read this in another 48 years :P! Though this does motivate the younger ones to not give up!
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 11,525Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro

So, Nigel, was one of those full-body Motorhead Tattoos you?

Bob

• NigelNigel Posts: 138Administrator
    Bob,  sssshhhhh!
  • ronwsronws Posts: 43Member
    I'm kind of an old guy (my birthday is Monday March 19.) But my voice sounds as young as it ever did. If I sing like I am supposed to sing and work with my voice, instead of against it, I sound young, indeed.

However, I may never get to be the "rock star." I have responsibilities and can't just live on the road like the 20-somethings that are starting bands, as they have always done.

And my voice doesn't fit anyone's "sound." I sing just fine in public and have done so many times and recieved applause. And no one is looking for me. And this is not self-pity. If anything, I can get away with being stubborn (family trait. We could teach mules how to be "stubborn.") I just keep doing what I am doing for my own enjoyment, which is how I think it ought to be, whether one is famous or not.

And my aim is to keep my voice sounding just as young for the next 30 years or so.

Lemmy - a force of nature. He never tries to put on an effect. He is what he is. And breaks the "rules." Smokes, drinks Black Jack and Coca-Cola. He let his voice be his guide and that's another valuable lesson, I think. Lemmy's not too old to sing. And neither am I.
  • dingodingo Posts: 119Enrolled
    Thanks. I needed this today.

There are quite a few in their 60s still touring. It's great.
  • PeteMurphyPeteMurphy Posts: 95Enrolled
    Also check out Doug Pinnick from Kings X. He's in his 60's and his voice is amazing - so soulful, but he can also scream with the best of 'em. His range is phenomenal!
  • jpachecolmjpachecolm Posts: 40Enrolled
    I love this topic. As an oldster too, early 40's, I run into the you're too old to be playing that music thing. I keep my body in good shape and my mind as well. I will not succumb to the "too old" tag. I may never be a star, but if I can continue to do what I love and enjoy it, I'm all for it.
  • FarawayGuyFarawayGuy Posts: 38Pro
    Well, guys'n'galls, seems I am the eldest one starting to study at KTVA... 49... Last March I desided to do couple things to avoid depression - began collecting counting jettons and take vocal lessons. My teacher is a great guy - he loves teaching and he's doing it in the right way and he explaned a lot about support and all. When some time ago I foung Ken's lesson about the way Dio sings - I said WOW - I can gain a lot. So I've just started and I like it. So - it is never late to start nevermind reasons. Good luck to everybody!
  • NigelNigel Posts: 138Administrator
    Hey there, FarawayGuy, welcome to KTVA!

You're a young one, the guy below has you beat by 20 years :)  

Check out KTVA vocalist Tony Moran in Liverpool - he's 70 and is doing great, he owns a guitar shop.  He's one of those guys that just blows it for anyone wanting to complain about being old and not being able to start singing!

edited January 2013
    Hi, Nigel! Oh! That's really cool! I would not give the guy more than 50! Thanks for the link - now I feel like a youngster!
  • DavidGDavidG Posts: 65Pro
    FarawayGuy

I'm 52,  - hope that helps

• MichaelSMichaelS Posts: 73Pro

Another great guy:

Tom Jones: 'Burning Hell' Live Session

P.S. How  you are doing the youtube videos built in the page?

edited January 2013
    @MichaelS Tom is perfect, as usual! I do love his songs!
    @DavidG that's good - we have a team of oldsters here! Well, well, well! Then: Show must go on! :)
  • DavidGDavidG Posts: 65Pro
    @FarawayGuy ha! -  having said that - there's no guarantee that I'll act my age! :)
  • Hi Guys
    Theres,s hope for me yet!! I,m 69 in 3 weeks. Rock on. I say
    Alan
  • JoyceJoyce Posts: 128Pro
    Hello there,
    I'am 54 and when I sing I still catch some admiring looks coming from younger singers.... I'am so proud of myself ....and it seems that the more I work my voice with KTVA, the more it sounds great..

• deyjeydeyjey Posts: 29Pro
    im 29 and started singing 3years ago now im planning to study piano and more vocals so i can teach after 5years maybe.
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 11,525Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    edited November 2016
    @Alan_Homent,

There is definitely hope for you. Keep on Rockin'!
    :^)

Bob
  • viniciusoliveiraviniciusoliveira Posts: 298Enrolled
    I keep wondering why the vocals of Robert Plant and Geddy Lee sound way lower than when them were young.
    I don't think it has only to do with aging.
    That guy from lover boy,Michael jackson and Anthony green always sounded the same.