Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Black Smoke Rising - Greta Van Fleet

DiegoDiego Posts: 1,001Moderator, 2.0 PRO
@highmtn @doc_ramadani @HuduVudu @victortang @Vocality @Klaus_T @Sophia @Gaston_Jauregui @Furious_Phil @blondiewales @juanmarivley @Wigs @Michael4000 @LoneWolfRogue @iking @DevonMoore @cwcw @tinaalcorace @Ken Tamplin @Giraffy @Spyk @DogMeat @sagemacg

https://audiomack.com/song/diego-ktva/black-smoke-rising-1

Here's one of my favorites from GVF.
Hope you enjoy! The backing vocals are pretty easy for this one, but they sound really cool.
This is my first time belting a D5
Tell me what you think!

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Posts: 14,597Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    Nice job, Diego!
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 3,124Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management
    Hello Diego,

good job. Yes, I enjoy it. And I enjoy to hear your chest voice in the upper range growing very well. One point: the inset with "And the ..." at 0:59 and later in the song is a little bit harsh and, for my taste, a little bit too loud.

Doc
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Posts: 996Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO
    sounds great @Diego !! growing really good!

try to use automation volume on the vocals and compression afterwards so the vocals sound more even, do you have any Waves plug ins?
  • DiegoDiego Posts: 1,001Moderator, 2.0 PRO
    @victortang
    I think this is a very good song to practice switching from headvoice to chest and so forth. There are so many changes lol. Some of the higher notes I did in chest voice except the notes at 2:54 - 3:14. I think the D5 was wether a really thin chest or mix.

Suprisingly the notes in the chorus were not hard at all.
    Going really "AH" helped a lot.
    @Gaston_Jauregui I just have a program called Voicemeeter to regulate the volume. I only have that, my USB mic and Audacity. The rest I do manually. I followed your advice about anticipating the high note, and it really helped! Thank you.
    @doc_ramadani Thank you for the feedback doc!
    edited April 22
    @Diego make sure you do this every recording, it will help a lot

And afterwards
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 3,124Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management
    Hi @Diego,

for me it sounds better. The compressor "glues" the track together. But it is pity that Vocaroo reduces the audio quality that much. Again: pretty good job on your upper chest voice. It is a joy to hear it growing.

Doc
    @HuduVudu How does this one sound to you?
  • blondiewalesblondiewales Posts: 468Pro
    I like the song, but I want to point out some audio engineering misconceptions that might be happening in this thread. If you're peaking your mic signal, it won't really matter what post production software you use. At most, it will be making the lost audio quality less obvious. Digital distortion is never desirable.

You may want to record at a lower volume and bring it up later. Unless you have a lot of background noise, digital recording is very clean and can tolerate a lot of volume increase/decrease without quality loss.

You're actually peaking on virtually every song you record. I know it's not a huge deal because you want to be a singer and not necessarily a recording engineer, but I think you'll be amazed at how much better your demos sound after you master gain staging.
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Posts: 6472.0 PRO
    edited April 24
    great job Diego, this sounds like it is very hard to sing. you are so good!

regarding the clipping, are you recording at 24 bits or 16 bits? 24 bits has much better head room. the range between "not enough gain" and "clipping" is much bigger and therefore, you don't have to run the mic gain as hot as with 16 bits. also, there is more "information" for any processing afterwards, which means, better sound. having said that, I think for the sake of demoing your voice, this is still very decent quality, so I would not worry too much about it.
    hi @Diego it does sound better :) what @blondiewales said its true, it will improve your recordings a lot the advice, always try to stay in -9.0 dbs when you record) remember that

0.0 dbs or over it peaks
    -1.0 dbs
    -6.0. (Probably your loudest scream)
    -9.0 (you singing)

This is harder if you are singing it in one take
  • coffeecrankcoffeecrank Posts: 2492.0 PRO
    Another impressive work, @Diego! I loooove this band, and you managed to sing it very similarly. Great job.