Home Ken Tamplin's Corner
Options

Hi Ken, divas, dudes - I have a question for you guitar players please!

vanessa365vanessa365 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 6
KTVA is really helping me vocally - I'd like to try to learn to play some basic guitar so that I can accompany myself. Oh Ken Tamplin, if you read this, please let me know if you think it's a stupid idea! My question for you guitar players is, I'm studying guitar components prior to buying, and think that an acoustic-electric under $500 would work. I'm narrowing down the huge number of these, and have read many many opinions, the pros and cons, have read the specs, and have narrowed them down to Fender, Ibanez, and Yamaha. I like the cutaway. I think the Fender CD 60SCE, the Yamaha FGX800C, or Yam.APX600 might be good. Btw I have long fingers even tho I'm a small "diva". Any input from you guitar players would be greatly appreciated! TYVM! <3

Comments

• Options
    Machine_ManMachine_Man 2.0 PRO Posts: 2
    Hi Vanessa,

Playing guitar to accompany your singing is a great idea, and one that will surely be inspiring and bring a lot of joy.

The guitar brands you mentioned are all notable manufacturers who make quality instruments at various price points. Having a cutaway is very beneficial when navigating the upper register of the fretboard; so that would indeed be a wise choice.

My best advice to you is: Play the instruments that interest you and evaluate how they feel and sound.

Some Aspects to Consider:

1) Make sure that the guitar is comfortable to hold in your fretboard hand. Guitar necks come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes.

2) Make sure that the guitar is comfortable where your picking hand rests on the instrument. Some guitars have rounded edges, others have sharp 90 degree edges.

3) Make sure it feels comfortable against your torso. Some guitars have contoured backs that provide a molded comfort, others are flat.

4) Make sure you like how the guitar sounds. The tone of each instrument can vary subtly or quite dramatically. The guitar should sound appealing acoustically and also when it's amplified.

5) And of course, make sure it's light enough so you can throw it in the air after a performance. ;)

I wish you all the very best with your music-making journey!
  • Options
    thanks so much! <3
  • Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    i agree, try them and see. i think you picked some good ones to try, you can't really go wrong with either of them i believe
  • Options
    thanks! I went with a Fender acoustic-electric - they were also offering a package deal with amp/picks/strap/tuner/dvd i have 45 days to return. I have an online instruction course so I can learn how to tune it, then some basics. Ideally, I'd like to learn enough to accompany myself for easier pop songs - eg. Sheryl Crow All I wanna Do - but for the songs i really love - eg Black Dog, and a bunch Chris Cornell ill of course use karaoke