Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Just growing muscles or body building for better resonance?

Hi @highmtn
Just as Opera singers grow body mass to improve their vocal resonance, I understand body bulding can have that effect on the voice too. My question is if just putting on 4, 5 kgs of muscle can also have an effect on resonance too if or one has to put on much more weight for that to happen.
Thaks a lot!

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,359
    I think that many larger-bodied singers have a natural advantage simply by the fact that their diaphragms are larger. Physics state that a large diaphragm displaces more air than a smaller diaphragm, due to the larger area being displaced, it takes less force to move more air.

With that being said, we know of smaller-bodied supersingers, such as Gabriela Guncikova, Sara Loera, and Kati Cher, who simply have learned to use what they've got to power their voices with incredible strength.

Certainly strength training in the core of the body can help to give us more power in the voice, but I believe that learning to leverage what strength we do have is more important than building reserves of brute strength.

Looking at Pavarotti, with his large diaphragm, no doubt he was able to sustain great vocal power, and it's probably safe to assume that he did not have 6-pack abs.