Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Advice On Practicing With Family At Home

I really want to practice and become a great singer, but currently I still live at home with a family of 5 (with two brothers) and whenever I want to practice I get super self-consicous and end up not singing at all. Especially the time I practice is the afternoon when everyone is coming home from work and school tired and stressed then I start to belt and I believe that they are saying "God here he goes again!"
I try to psych my self up, telling myself "I don't care if they hear, I love singing and I'm gonna work on it" and "JUST F**KING DO IT!" but then I go to try a sing the nice, bright AH vowel and can't bring myself to do it! I end up just giving up and losing all motiviation.
It's funny cause my family know I'm into music (I play guitar also but I'm really confident at that) and I used to sing 1-2 years ago but stopped. Now I want to practice again but I can't get out of my head!
It's not a "stage fright" thing because I also act and have performed before; and I believe I have pretty average voice (not terrible, just needs work) It's just doing the warm up exercises and practicing what I'm bad at, knowing I don't sound the most pleasant in that moment, is what I'm afraid of.
I'm aware it's most likely just a mental hurdle to get over; and I have to just bite the bullet sooner or later BUT any tips or advice you can give me to get through this? Have any of you guys experienced something similar and got through it?
Thanks!

Comments

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 4612.0 PRO
    Hi Riley,

I am Marco, I am 48 years old and father of 4. The boys are 15 and 13. The girls 13 and 12. Each of them learns an instrument. So you can imagine that there is sometimes a little noise when I come home from work. Even if it is sometimes a little annoying to hear Beethovens "For Elise" the 1000th time, I really enjoy that my kids are making music.

I think that you are making a mental mistake. YOU THINK that your family thinks "God here he goes again!" - but you don't know it. This are YOUR thoughts. Go to the extreme: ASK THEM! Maybe you are amazed at how they really think.

Regards,
    Doc

• videoacevideoace Posts: 1,754Pro, 2.0 PRO
    I always just tell the people in my house : "If you hear any strange noises coming from downstairs, it's just me practicing scales".

That way I don't worry about making mistakes.

Peace, Tony
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Posts: 606Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO
    @rileydo hello, in case that what @doc_ramadani doesnt work and your family isnt really willing to listen to your training, at least all the time (this meaning ask them, because maybe they are willing but not everyday, so you could kind of agree certain hours or something) Ken always talks about something he had to do when he was touring the world, in order to train in the hotels he was staying, and that´s "pillow singing" this means training the scales with a pillow on your mouth, just make sure you double check if you arent over singing every once in a while,(this happened to me) because, usually, you want to hear your voice and since you have a pillow covering it, you will hear a lot less volume than the habitual, this means, you will try to compensate the volume you arent hearing and.... you will blow your voice, so every now and then do one without the pillow, plus you really want to double check if your sound is homogeneous in every vowel etc

• bentkbentk Posts: 1,029Pro, 2.0 PRO
    Hi Riley,

I would have a good conversation with everybody. Someone singing scales constantly is not the most entertaining thing to hear, especially not 5+ days a week. Make them understand that it might not sound great, especially at the beginning, so they understand it's a lengthy learning process. But it's something you really want, just like learning an instrument. On top of this, you want to choose the room where they can hear the least. I know it's obvious. But even a single door can dampen a lot of the sound.

All the best,

Ben