Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Can adults achieve perfect pitch?

Jhenneberg88Jhenneberg88 Posts: 7STREAMING PRO
Hi, I've been enrolled in Ken's streaming course for 11 months or so (although I am still on volume 3 LOL). I have been singing at church for a number of years as a back up singer and can harmonize fairly well, but wanted to step up my game which is why I enrolled. But lately, I'm feeling a bit discouraged. I started singing as a child and sang in school choirs and ensemble groups thru high school, but after that I did not sing (except in the shower) for about 12-13 years when I started singing at church. I have recorded my voice a handful of times since joining KTVA and I've noticed a few pitch problems here and there. I'm 48 years old now and I have noticed that it seems I have to work twice as hard in order to sing well - to be expected I guess, since your voice looses elasticity as you age. But I have seen some negative comments on line in regard to adults and perfect pitch. So tell me, is it truly possible for someone of my age to achieve perfect pitch, and if so, what exercises are recommended to focus specifically on this? I'm having to fight the urge to throw in the towel, despite my love for singing and music in general. Could really use some words of encouragement. Thank you.

Answers

• videoacevideoace Posts: 1,754Pro, 2.0 PRO
    Very few, and I mean very few people achieve "perfect pitch".

"Perfect pitch" is being able to identify a note being played, or sang only by hearing it.
    In my lifetime (54 years) I've never met anybody that could do it.
    Being from Detroit, it's rumored that back in the old Motown days, one of the secretaries at the studio had perfect pitch, and would tell the guys when they were off key.

I'm really not sure if it is even something you can learn.

Peace, Tony
  • Jhenneberg88Jhenneberg88 Posts: 7STREAMING PRO
    Thanks Tony, I've heard that too. I've only met one person in my life with perfect pitch, but he was very young and quite frankly savant-like, incredibly gifted in music way beyond most people's abilities. But naturally I really want to strive to being as close to "on pitch" as I can possibly be. Hopefully someone might have some tips or suggestions for me.

Regards,
    Janet
  • videoacevideoace Posts: 1,754Pro, 2.0 PRO
    There are videos within the program, and the forum that deals with pitch issues.

Peace, Tony