Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Passaggio

Firstly I want to wish a merry Christmas to all of you. And secondly I wanted to ask for an explanation of the term passaggio. Is passagio when for example I start to sing a word in a chest voice and switch to head in the middle of it or if I sing a word in chest voice and then the next word in head voice?

Comments

• HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    Primo passagio is when you pass from your tessatura to your call. Segundo passagio is when you pass from your call/chest to your head voice.
  • JurajMJurajM Member Posts: 54
    Thanks but what i wasa wondering was is the passaggio used when i switch the registers in the middle of the singing word or when i sing two words in two different registers or both. To simplify is it when im singing in for example chest voice and switch to head or when i sing in chest, stop singing and then switch to head.
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    The passagio is a transition zone in your musculature. It is something that you go through or negotiate, to get from one voice type to another.

Your question is do I go through the passagio when I go from chest to head and back, and the answer is yes.

To further answer your question. It is artistically up to you if you want to make a hard transition from chest to head or vice versa in the middle of the word, or if you want to use mix through the word. Either way is possible and either way is acceptable.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited December 2018
    The Passaggio is the "passageway" between chest voice and head voice. It is the transitional area. You want to "connect" chest voice to Head voice by blending from one to the other and back without a yodel, or "register break". Normally you would be singing contiguous vowels and you won't stop phonating to go from chest register into head register. So you just BLEND from one to the other, and this will happen AT the Passaggio. You blend from the last chest voice note that you can sing up high, into the head voice register, and do so without a vocal break.

It's also called "the bridge" between chest voice and head voice.

Call voice is still a variant of chest voice. We don't have call voice at low volumes. It's a belting voice. We use it when we stretch our chest voice, and extend it quite high.