Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

We Are The Champions

DiegoDiego Posts: 6962.0 PRO
So, I did this song, and it was a lot of fun. The track came with some harmonies, so i added something to the harmonies.
Ths inner Freddie comes out in this song lol.
https://vocaroo.com/i/s0Kis2upkg6k
@highmtn @videoace @HuduVudu @blondiewales @Gaston_Jauregui @doc_ramadani @Michael4000 @victortang
@Ken Tamplin

Comments

• DiegoDiego Posts: 6962.0 PRO
    OKAY FINALLY got it where I wanted.
  • Michael4000Michael4000 Posts: 694STREAMING PRO
    Wow Diego this is really awesome. Good emotion and you added some nice grit growl in appropriate places. I really can't think of anything to critique. I hope that I can get this good eventually.

Michael
    Where did you get the backing track?

It was easy to find. Converted the link and downloaded to MP3
    How do you do that? I purchased backing tracks on karaoke.com
    @Michael4000 And you will get good, probably even better, if you put in the work!
    You can do it!
    You search MP3 Link converter and it converts the video link into MP3 and you download it.
    Can it be done on a phone or do you need a computer?
    As long as you have a link, I think it'll work on both.
    @highmtn does the C5 sound like Chest or Mix?
    How can I make that sound more chesty?
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 14,440Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    If you mean like on FIGHTing, that's a chesty mix. Sounds good!
    edited January 3
    @highmtn
    Cool, Thanks. How can I take it from a chesty mix and just make it full chest?
    Does Freddie do it full or mix as well?
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 1,590Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management
    @Diego, you crazy boy. VERY COOL! And I agree with Bob, it is a chesty mix and it sounds great!

Doc
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 1,590Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management
    @Diego PS.: And I think that it is useless to call Ken in this forums. I think he has to deal with other things.
    Thank you doc!
    You never know lol he might show up someday lol.
    I'm wondering how to hit that C5 in full chest. And how Freddie does it, that is if he's even doing it in full chest.
    I want to get that agility and full control over my Chest/Mix/Head.
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu Posts: 1,020Moderator, Premium, 2.0 PRO
    You have to do the work of an athlete to be an athlete. Just sayin'.
  • Nice Job Diego. (I still think it could use more chest) ha ha

Peace
    You have taken your "vowels" and thanked us "all". We will have a pleasure to see you blossom, Diego. This one is great.
  • victortangvictortang Posts: 4742.0 PRO
    HuduVudu said:

You have to do the work of an athlete to be an athlete. Just sayin'.

@Diego Using HuduVudu's analogy, you are one hell of an athlete! Keep up the great work!

• highmtnhighmtn Posts: 14,440Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    You probably don't really want to do those notes in full chest. That specific note, when Freddie did it, I believe, was full-on head voice. He just did it with such flair that we bought it. Head voice isn't always bad for high notes. We just don't want to be dependent upon a weak head voice to substitute for true chest voice notes that we simply can't hit.
    Thanks for pointing that out Bob! I was so confused how he sang that part. So it's not that safe to pull chest up that high? Guess I was being too greedy lol.

Thanks!
    And thank you so much @victortang! I appreciate it!
  • Not only are you an athlete, but you seem to be training for the Decathlon.

Hopefully I'll be able to hear what you sound like in a couple of years from now. (on the radio?)

Peace
    edited January 4
    @Diego Hi Diego, I listened to this several times. This is not "advice" or "criticism", just an observation.

RE: "Fighting" with High C, chest or mix or head etc...

Your High C at -2:23 sounds to me like a mix with a tasteful gentle touch. It seems to have more of a head voice component, and less air pushing through your vocal chords.

But at -1:07, Your High C ("Fighting") was a mix with a much stronger chest full voice component. In fact, it sounds like FULL chest to me!

I like it that the first "fighting" (-2:23) was gentler at the start of the song. Gentle, almost like you were saying it politely. As the song progressed and you told the story of how you come to be a champion, you sound like you were getting your audience more and more engaged, and fired up....to the point that at -1:07, you no longer wanted to just merely politely say "We'll keep on fighting till the end". Rather, at -1:07, near the end of the story telling, you TOLD your audience "We'll keep on FIGHTING till the end" with this controlled aggression. Much more emotional, AND YOU SAID IT LIKE YOU MEANT IT!!!! Almost like you were screaming out with all that bottled up emotion!!!!! After all, "fighting" is not without an aggressive element.

Just my observation as your audience. Great performance. My wife heard it and was massively impressed right from the start of "I've paid my dues...." And she is an unforgiving harsh critique.

Keep fighting Diego!

edited January 4

You have taken your "vowels" and thanked us "all". We will have a pleasure to see you blossom, Diego. This one is great.

@doc_ramadani Hehehehe.......That's funny! A Singing Comedian Medical Practitioner!!!

@videoace Hahaha
    Hopefully I'll be all over the radio in a couple years! :P
    @victortang I love your observations. They are so precise.
    I thank you so much!
    Glad your wife liked it! AND she's a harsh critique. x1000 times better.
    And yeah I tried to be as dynamic as possible with this song. Going from being sweet to slamming it in your face.

lol
    Thank you doc.
    Keep the funny comments coming lol
    edited January 4
    Diego said:

@victortang I love your observations. They are so precise.
    ....... Going from being sweet to slamming it in your face.

@Diego That is exactly what I received in my face!!!! Good Job!!!

And who says singing is not a contact sport??? :D :D

• If you get with the right people, that IS a possibility.

Peace
    edited January 4
    @Diego If you had asked Freddie Mercury if he was in head or chest or mix, he would have been confused with what it all means. (Like many many famous "great" singers, He never took singing lessons).

He just wanted to conquer the world by stealing its heart!
    edited January 4
    @Diego I didn't say that my wife likes it! I said she is "massively impressed"!!!!

But Diego, as far as I understand, being on radio (and being a singing star) does not rely on a superior voice. Being a better singer than anyone else does not even guarantee that you'll win a singing contest. Other factors account for a lot.

I may be wrong. But that is my observation.

So if your intention is to be on mainstream radio, there are lessons to be learnt outside of hitting the perfect head/chest/mix note. And lessons are often learnt from mistakes and "failures". So the question to ask yourself is usually "How bad do you want it??"

Again, I may be wrong. But that is my experience and observation.
  • You could get on the radio easy Diego. Sing a few jingles for an ad agency, and you'll be on the radio 5 times a day lol just kidding

Your only limitations are yourself. If radio is what you want, surround yourself with credible people in your local music scene, learn their contacts, and keep moving forward, never backward. Just surround yourself with credible people.

We all get what we work for in the end.

Peace

In Germany we have a saying:

"Aus Fehlern wird man klug, drum ist einer nicht genug."
    "From Mistakes you get smart, so one is not enough."
    edited January 4
    @Diego

Agree with "surround yourself with the right people", and agree with "Aus Fehlern wird man klug, drum ist einer nicht genug.".

Just adding to this...

Diego, speaking from MY personal experience, my biggest commitment in my life other than my wife and children, is my quest for material abundance (i.e., money, material, etc... the boring stuff). I surrounded myself with people who are interested in the same things. But i only take advice from those who have achieved more than I did. I own several properties in Australia and Singapore. The only person I really listen to owns about 600 properties world wide.

I say the above because that is only MY experience.