Home Recording Techniques and Gear

New recording setup

Michael4000Michael4000 STREAMING PRO Posts: 992
I'm thinking of using new equipment and starting a new recording setup. Anyone who has seen my recent posts about the problems I'm having with the cell phone can see why. So I have some questions.

1. Should I continue using my cell phone for video and record audio on the computer and then merge the two on a computer using software?

OR

2. Should I just get a video camera that has an XLR input and just copy the video file to my computer to upload? This way I could do all the mixing before hand on my mixers and simply copy the combined video and audio file from the camera to my computer to upload to YouTube. This would eliminate the need for a software program. I would like the camera to have a screen facing me that I can see the video as it is recording in real time (not a tiny screen though...at least the size of a screen on a regular sized smartphone). This setup would not work if I wanted to do an audio only recording though.

I'd like to try to keep this as simple as possible. I am already very busy and I don't really want to spend a bunch of time on video & audio editing software, if possible.