Home Ken Tamplin's Corner
Options

How do 'naturals' sing so well?

I've always wondered how 'naturals' like Tom Jones, Freddie Mercudy and Gillan could push their voice so high and strong without copping out like most upper-range male singers do at E4 or G4.

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357

Matt,

We're all different.  Some were born with golden voices when the stork brought them.  The rest of us have to work our way to be the best that we can be. 

It's all good.

Bob

• Options
    matt53matt53 Pro Posts: 189
    Thanks Bob. I appreciate you taking the time to answer all my 'newbie' questions.
  • Options
    crscrs Enrolled Posts: 46
    Vocal training takes a more conscious effort at approaching the voice because it focuses a lot more on how our actions influence the way we sound compared to people who just pick it up naturally.  But I think natural singers that can sing that high without copping out are just gutsy enough to try it.  Same reason why Ken says that singers are only singers because they have the guts to be one.  :)

Untrained singers will do whatever works, but sometimes what works isn't the best idea health-wise.  My mother is a natural singer, and has never taken a lesson, but she understands that diaphragmatic support (not by name or concept, if not by the feel,) is very important toward singing, and as a result does not sound throaty when she is singing from the top and bottom of her range.  However, sometimes she lifts her head for the extremely high notes.  While she does hit them, it's not the most 'technically safe' way of doing it.
  • Options
    matt53matt53 Pro Posts: 189
    That's very interesting. It's amazing how Ken said he could barely hit an A4 as an untrained singer but his cousin Sammy Hagar was belting and wailing into the fifth octave in many Van Halen songs. And he's still singing pretty well today!