Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

They Don't Care About Us - Cover

DiegoDiego Posts: 8392.0 PRO
@highmtn @doc_ramadani @HuduVudu @victortang @Vocality @Klaus_T @Sophia @Gaston_Jauregui @Furious_Phil @blondiewales @juanmarivley @Wigs @Michael4000 @LoneWolfRogue @iking @DevonMoore @cwcw @tinaalcorace @Ken Tamplin Tamplin @Giraffy @Spyk

https://audiomack.com/song/diego-ktva/they-don-t-care-about-us

This is a very expressive song.
In my opinion, one of the hardest MJ songs due all the distortion and breath control.
I did this in one take except for some of the backing vocals.

Comments

• DiegoDiego Posts: 8392.0 PRO
    Ugh. I'll put another link hold on.
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Posts: 980Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO
    the emulation is pretty good, I can tell you are a big MJ fan, but the technique is not working, the over pronunciation is killing your technique, and it also is bringing your pitch down in certain parts, I would redo the song avoiding over pronunciation, even if you don´t sound that close to MJ,
    the rasp you are doing is coming from the lack of maintaining the vocal tract shaping, and not keeping the back of the throat open, I don´t wanna sound harsh, but I would avoid whatever you believe Michael did, that you think he did right just because he was Michael, and because he was a star. work on the technique to get through the song, and then when you have it, work on the dirt, or getting closer this is why Ken asks you to get the songs clean first

hope this helps

this is my humble opinion
    I agree @Gaston_Jauregui. When I do it clean, the song sound a bit naked. But I'll try what you said to show the more technical aspect now.

Did the C5's sound okay though?
    Are they chest or mixes? I have to learn to differentiate.
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Posts: 980Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO
    @diego i believe is thin chest
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Posts: 5602.0 PRO
    @Diego wow you sound really similar now.
  • LoneWolfRogueLoneWolfRogue Posts: 2262.0 PRO
    For a brief second I seriously thought I was listening to MJ you did an awesome job
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 2,330Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management
    Hi @Diego,

I agree with Gaston: very good emulation - and I also with rest that he said. :smile:

Doc
    @Klaus_T That is an honor lol.
    Thank you so much.

@LoneWolfRogue Hahaha, I wish.
    I have a lot to go before I reach my idols.

@doc_ramadani Thanks doc!
  • cwcwcwcw Posts: 2842.0 PRO
    Nice job @Diego . Definitely MJ sounding. Impressive, indeed. Good comments from Gaston.
  • blondiewalesblondiewales Posts: 340Pro
    Sorry it took me a while to get to you. I agree that hard consonants can throw you off pitch, but be warned that if you do go further in the music industry and get a record deal etc... Often times record companies will assign you a producer and in the studio, they'll almost always ask for clearer consonants, not less. Live shows are different and you can do pretty much whatever you want to get by, but it is advisable, in my humble opinion, to get good at a way of singing articulately without sacrificing sound or hurting yourself. Pavarotti was really good at enunciating while keeping perfect musicality. You're good at it too, I think. You just have to experiment a bit.
  • WigsWigs Posts: 4402.0 PRO
    This was awaome to listen to driving at full volume just for sheer enjoyment. You have an overall package with what you do, it’s the nitty gritty techniques that the others are giving you to work on that will take you all the way. It’s always a pleasure to hear you and an education with what you still need to improve👍🏽
  • ONICONIC Posts: 52Member
    Wow good stuff!
  • Michael4000Michael4000 Posts: 700STREAMING PRO
    This sounds pretty great to me. The only criticism I have is that some of the distorted Parts sound a bit shouty.