Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

"Faithfully" by Trine, a recording that I am embarassed to post, but I do it to learn.

Dear all

Instead of being perfectionistic and post something that I am satisfied with, I do the oposite. I post a song that I feel I don't manage to sing properly (yet), so that I can learn and improve.

These are the issues that I would like someone to adress:

1. Technique. I know the support is too weak. What else is there to work with?

2. Hoarseness. Sometimes after singing, I become hoarse, perhaps for a week. This was the case after I sung this song. I had been singing for 2,5 hours when recorded this, it was around 2 a.m. and I was thirsty, but I just continued to sing without drinking. Very stupid.... Except from dehydration, is there anything I am doing wrong thechnically in this song that can cause hoarseness? Am I pushing to hard on the high notes, using too little support? Or is it just dehydration?

3. What am I doing at the highest parts of this song, in the second verse: "two strangers learn to fall in love again"? On "fall", what kind of voice am I going into,- is it head? Should I have tried to be more "chesty" here? I think I sound too weak at that part.

That was about all that I was wondering about. I feel I sing this so bad, but I welcome you to listen anyway.

http://soundcloud.com/simmot/faithfully

Thank you in advance,

Trine

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Trine,

Support, support, support.

It does sound like head voice on the word fall.  Your dehydrated cords probably didn't want to stretch in chest voice there. 

We have our ups and downs and good days and bad days.  When this song finished, your recording of Dark Horse came on and I was reminded of how good you sound when you are on top of your Game. 

Take another stab at this when you are hydrated, and use monster support, throughout the song and triple that when you go up high. 

On the hoarseness thing, that is an indication that you are singing from your throat too much.  Again, Support, support, support.  Let your diaphragmatic support engine do the work.  Your voice is the pilot, the diaphragm is the Rocket Engine. 

Never give up your support!  Nevah, nevah, nevah give up!

Bob

• TrineTrine Enrolled Posts: 269

Thank you guys!

Very helpful comments!

I was probably as exhausted as I could possibly be when I recorded this, and very few things worked, but I just wanted to "tape" it and never listen to it again (which I haven't, because then I would never have posted it...:-). The reason I didn't drink was actually that the plumber had shut off my water. I was frenetically searching the house for a bottle of water, without success. I'll work on support and drinking and let you hear from me again.

Bob, by the way: thank you for ending with speaking about something I was successful with (Dark Horse). That is a very good thing to do: telling people clearly what there is to work with, but still leaving them with a feeling of having succeeded. I really appreciate how this forum is run with that philosophy in mind!

Kisses and happy new year!!!

Trine

• sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    Hey Trine,

I like the fact that you are willing to take risks and post a song that is not as strong as some of your other posts. That's how we really learn! I agree with Bob. The support sounds a bit lazy, amp it up a bit and really brighten up the tone. Try to sing each phrase with a wide smile. Also open up on those vowels. Words like mind and time, add more Ah into the sound. Listen to Steve perry closely. He opens up every vowel possible. Keep up the good work!
  • TrineTrine Enrolled Posts: 269

Thank you Scott,

If we only do "safe" things, we don't grow. And also, I can let other people hear how you're NOT supposed to do it... That is also a lesson.

Trine

• jonathanjonathan Enrolled, 2.0 PRO Posts: 7
    Trine,

Just wanted to say, I enjoyed that! Nice work!

Jonathan