Home The Singer's Lobby

How is this thing called?

JurajMJurajM Member Posts: 54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlHALdSTPX0

Can someone explain to me what does he do on 0:58. From my current knowledge im assuming he passed through the passaggio but im not sure. And also i seem to strugles with that which exercises are recommended for that?

Comments

• DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    edited May 2019
    You can hear the break. He's switching from mix to head voice and then back to mix at "through the window".
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    This is a mix voice to head voice transition. To me he does not have enough head voice range to be able to properly pull it off. Immediate transitions between either mix or chest to head at that high up require a lot of practice and a lot of strength to accomplish.

If I were to offer suggestions to this singer on how to deal with this I would suggest that he needs to increase his head voice range and his head voice strength. He could also bring his volume down and get in closer to the mic to help him make the transition correctly, in the interim until he can build these things up. Also he is using his ribcage for his inhales. This isn't really helping him get the air that he needs to form correct support to do what he is trying to do.

Ken has a good video for building head voice strength.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_bZEbZeRac
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Shane, Diego,

I can not decide if I would call this chesty mix or chest voice but the speed bump may either be an artistic choice or the impossibility to transition smoothly. The second thing happens very often to me when I sung a lot in heavy chest. Suddenly the secundo passaggio is this ole speed bump thing again. :smiley:

Doc
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    He clearly breaks on the transition. I view it as highly suspect that this was an artistic choice.

I don't think it is necessarily the passagio that is causing the problems I think it is the transition from head to chest very high in his range. You can pull your chest high above your passigio and then in this pulled chest try to make a head voice transition. You better have the reps and strength to do it or it's gonna crack, even though technically it is above your passagio (segundo)
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Shane, you are right. My wording was not correct.