Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Too low at sing-alongs?

Do tenors (or sopranos) find that most tunes at sing-alongs are too low? 
If you are a tenor (or soprano) how do you deal with this? As a high tenor I tend to stay away from sing-along as I only get frustrated.
They sometimes sing down to A2.
At church they sing Silent Night in Bb which too low. I like C or C#. I can't reach down to Bb2 after being warmed up.

Comments

• HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    Hi ingenting,

I can't speak for tenors or sopranos but I can speak to the problem that you are having. I have this very problem only in the exact opposite direction. My voice is bass and it used to be very difficult for me to sing most songs because they are not built for my range. After A LOT of work on my voice I can now comfortable sing higher (A#4) and my range naturally extends quite low (D2). Because of KTVA and the work that I have put in not only can I sing in ranges that used to be unavailable to me, I also have control in those ranges.

You are not stuck with the range you were "born" with you can definitely extend it out with patience and practice. If you want to do that then if you put in the work you will get there.

It sounds to me just from what you are saying that you don't have a strong chest voice. This means that bringing in undertones to your voice is difficult for you. Ken's YouTube channel is an awesome place to get information on your voice and singing. I am linking a good video on chest voice to help you get started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9J3iEn4Gqc
  • ingentingingenting Member Posts: 23

Hmm, I'm a tenor and I've never quite had this problem.

If you're going as low as A2, can you just sing the octave on some parts? Or you can just harmonize.

What is your lowest note? Am I the only tenor who doesn't sing the low notes?
  • Before I began this course, I definitely had this problem. I could only sing soprano-type songs in head voice, and that ruled out the majority of songs for me. That was quite disheartening. But I can say that because of this course, I now know how to use my chest voice and it is increasing in strength and tone every week. Songs that weren't possible for me before are doable now, and I'm very happy about that.
  • ingentingingenting Member Posts: 23
    Sophia said:

Before I began this course, I definitely had this problem. I could only sing soprano-type songs in head voice, and that ruled out the majority of songs for me. That was quite disheartening. But I can say that because of this course, I now know how to use my chest voice and it is increasing in strength and tone every week. Songs that weren't possible for me before are doable now, and I'm very happy about that.

I have actually done exercices for low notes but I still can't sing in the baritone range. I find that people think a tenor should be able to sing low as well with training but it doesn't work for me. Do Ken Tamplin really teach that a high tenor should be able to sing down to A2 as well? I get confused. I just can't seem to learn how to force myself to sibg down to A2.
  • I think the key word there is "force". The course stretches your voice gradually and safely, over time. :)
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Ken worked for years to gain his range. Since everyones body make up is different, so is their voice. I guess while a lot of tenors may be able to sing low, you might have a more naturally high set voice. Can you sing notes above a tenor quite easily. If not, it may be a case of having to work extra hard to gain more range top and bottom, but there will be a point where the progression slows down to the point where you only gain a note or 2 every year. I'm still getting used to terminology and vocal fachs ect.
    Before I started the course I would find myself constantly having to switch octaves within the song because I didn't know what I was doing. I've been told I'm a tenor, now I can manage to sing songs from Johnny cash through to a few lady gagas.
    What I find from the course is that it gives you the tools and knowledge to become your own best singer, there are no promises, there is a lot of hard work and there is unbelievable support in the student area of the forums to help on your singing journey. All the best and don't be discouraged 😉