Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

hi ken

GeorgeMGeorgeM Enrolled Posts: 54
Hi ken, i'm  George, 18 yr old from NJ. i enrolled, volume 1 on January 5. i know i'm not good at it and its bad, but please if you have time. check my demo to know the way i'm doing it (By the way i'm taking other face-live lessons just  for a good pitch) . i will have some online lessons with you because i'm really serious about singing, but i'm so courios now to know what are my weeknesses.Also, I wanna know if i'ts gonna be okay to move on volume 2 at the end of the month. thanks

Best Answer

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Answer ✓

George,

I'm not Ken, but he may not be able to get back to you very soon, so I hope you don't mind me popping in here and giving you a little advice.

You actually have a pretty good sounding voice.  Your basic "AH" sounds right, and your throat sounds Open.  You are trilling well, and the tongue exercise sounds like you are doing it correctly.

You are missing the correct melody for the exercises that you put on your download.

I don't know if you have access to a piano to explain exactly what it is you are doing. If you will listen carefully you will hear that you are doing a scale on all of the exercises you posted that goes essentially like, for example, as follows. 

On the G scale, the scale should be G, B, D, G, D, B, G.  Instead you go G, A, B, C, B, A, G.

Your notes sound good, they just aren't the correct intervals between the notes.  You're on key and on the pitches that you sing, but they aren't the same notes as the exercises. 

I think if you play the notes I wrote above on a piano and listen first to the scale as it should be and then the scale as you sang it, you will understand what I am saying, and know to carefully match the correct intervals of the scales on the exercises.  The correct scale is actually over a much broader range of notes, a full octave, and will stretch your voice even more than the scale you sang. 

The scales get a little more advanced as the course progresses, so now is the best time to sharpen your ears and listen very carefully to make sure you are matching and singing back just exactly like Ken shows you on the videos and audio exercises.

Here's to a great future of singing for you!

Bob

Answers

• GeorgeMGeorgeM Enrolled Posts: 54
    edited January 2013
    here's demo  http://vocaroo.com/i/s1NxNIYJliLJ
    please dowload MP (at the bottom of the page) if u cant hear.
    unfortunately i don't  have piano but i have a guitar, although i don't know how to play it what cord is A on piano it means lower or higher that c or g
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

gigilpx1,

You will need some way to ensure that you are matching the melody and the notes of the exercises so that you will be getting the benefit intended. 

I have a decent electronic piano now, but before I got the one I have now, I got a cheap one at a garage sale for nine bucks.  You might want to think about getting a used keyboard to help you get a handle on your ability to match notes and melodies. 

If you aren't singing the right intervals, you won't get the right benefits of the exercises.  You don't have to be a maestro, you just seem to  be someone that might need a keyboard for reference.  You can put stickers on it to show you where different notes are.

There are also software pianos that you can download for free on the internet that you could mouse over to help you learn to find the notes in melodies you may be having troubles with.

These are just suggestions.  We need to be able to reference what we are doing right and what we are doing wrong.  If someone tells us what notes we are needing to work on, we need to know what that note sounds like and how close or far off we are.

Good singing to you!

Bob

@highmtn thanks for responding. i will download piano program,, and can you wrote piano cords like u did above with guitar cords, to know exact part of note i'm doing wrong? i really wanna move on volume 2 at the end of this month but if i have wrong notes then it will be a bad idea. Although i think it not the easy stuff to be on spot with the right pitch. On volume 1  Ken doesn't talk about pitch , and notes Only he says that we should choose the same time every day to be spot on, pitch, notes but sometimes i cant do that because of family members (and it doesn't works slow,for me). So it means that i don't have to have a right notes and the pitch perfectly,to move on volume 2 ?

gigilpx1,

You want to train your ears to hear notes and pitch from the start.  That's something you need to get a handle on yourself. You also need to learn to hear your own voice and to discern the pitch while you are singing, compared to the tracks you are singing along to.    

Moving on to Stage two is going to introduce even more complex scales, and wider ranges of pitch.   

You are expected to be able to match pitches.  You might have to work for a while to get to higher pitches than you can hit right now, but you are expected to be able to hear an exercise and be able to sing back the notes as they were demonstrated.  You may need to stop the CD and work on the scale until you've got it right, but you need to be singing back the same scale that was demonstrated on the CD, and in the same key as the CD. 

Otherwise, you're not practicing or learning the exercises you are supposed to be working on.

All the best to you!

Bob