Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Singing while playing guitar

Hello gang,

i'm moderately new here. I've been playing guitar for over 20 years, and singing plus minus 8 years, intensively last 3 years. Range From G#2 to D6. I've been watching Ken's videos for years, and only 3 weeks ago i purchased the course. Actually just singing while doing nothing else, i get outstanding results and the progress is just there. Now comes the rub, when I start to play guitar and sing, i tend to revert to my old singing habit. I guess it has something to do with the additional weight on shoulders and change of posture. So instead of properly connecting, i tend to belt when i get high.

Has anyone of you got to deal with this topic? I tried to do the warm ups with the guitar on (wasn't particularly enjoyable). How to solve it, besides focusing only on singing?

best wishes,
Robert

Comments

• Options
    samw2019samw2019 2.0 PRO Posts: 285
    Hello,

I'm new myself, I gotta say a D6 is incredible nice one. I've noticed in my starting learning I can't do the exercises with an instrument, I'm not sure why but probably because it's a new thing and concentrating on two things at once. I learnt some songs in my band playing bass and vocals before the course and it took me a while to get the bass right, then the vocals and then the work of combining them together. Then I started the course and concentrating and focusing on technique and the vox and bass are out again and I've got to relearn it sort of with the new technique in mind. I'm singing training without an instrument until the technique is ingrained myself.
    All the best
    Sam
  • Options
    doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @robertsolcansky,

Since you purchased the course you should get your forum status updated. Please find the instructions here.

You will get much more detailed feedback in the internal student area's of the forums.

Doc
  • Options
    robertsolcanskyrobertsolcansky 2.0 PRO Posts: 2
    samw2019 said:

Hello,

I'm new myself, I gotta say a D6 is incredible nice one. I've noticed in my starting learning I can't do the exercises with an instrument, I'm not sure why but probably because it's a new thing and concentrating on two things at once. I learnt some songs in my band playing bass and vocals before the course and it took me a while to get the bass right, then the vocals and then the work of combining them together. Then I started the course and concentrating and focusing on technique and the vox and bass are out again and I've got to relearn it sort of with the new technique in mind. I'm singing training without an instrument until the technique is ingrained myself.
    All the best
    Sam

thanks Sam. I guess the practice makes master. I'll browse the other student parts of the forum, maybe it was tackled there in detail.
  • Options
    samw2019samw2019 2.0 PRO Posts: 285
    No problems @robertsolcansky , also I got info from @doc_ramadani about laying off singing songs until the technique is ingrained, I guess because there's a lot to think about in a song and my technique will be compromised. I was singing covers as practice too before I got the course and I dropped that until my technique is right, focusing on the scales until I got it down. I'm trying to avoid a compromise due to having to keep up to scratch with the songs I'm playing on bass in band and will re-work the vox for that in using (eventually) good technique, all the best.

Sam
  • Options
    bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    I recognize what you are saying @robertsolcansky
    It is also a matter of practice. You might be focusing a little too much on the guitar without realising.
    Perhaps try this: Sing a few lines of a song, with your guitar, standing up, but don't play the guitar. After that, catch your breath, and do the same thing whilst playing along with your guitar. See if there is a difference.

I used to build up more tension whilst playing guitar, but it slowly went away as my technique got better and better. Once i realized i got more tense now and then, i started to actively 'stop' that by relaxing more and reminding myself how i'm able to sing the song without playing along. Relaxing as much as POSSIBLE really is incredibly important, but it's a slow process. At least for me it was. You are always going to get some tension (especially singing high and belting etc.), but it should be diverted and avoided in 'bad' places.

Hope this helps

Ben
  • Options
    @robertsolcansky Also, if you haven't already seen it, there is a lesson by Ken in Pro Pack 4 titled "How To Sing And Play At The Same Time". You should be able to find it in your course materials. Perhaps that will give you some further insight.