Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

DEF LEPPARD DEMO

Wednesday: Greetings to The Forum. This is my first Post. This is my cover of a Def Leppard song. I recently found Ken Tamplin's online vids and I think he's the real deal. As you say, I want to come and test the waters. All comments welcome. Thank you and I would like to work with Ken in the near future.

TAP THIS YOUTUBE LINK:
https://youtu.be/w6nM61c6R3U

Comments

• cwcwcwcw 2.0 PRO Posts: 412
    Not bad at all, Hollywood. The audio quality of the recording makes it difficult to listen to though. :)
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    I agree with @cwcw, the audio quality makes it hard to give you a qualified feedback. Doc
  • HollywoodHollywood Member Posts: 27
    cwcw said:

Not bad at all, Hollywood. The audio quality of the recording makes it difficult to listen to though. :)

I agree with @cwcw, the audio quality makes it hard to give you a qualified feedback. Doc

Chris82 said:

:o Good Job!

Ok, thx all! Does anyone want to explain to me what you're referring to about the audio quality?.. as I'm not quite sure what's your speaking of...
    and also when you say it's not bad or you say it's a good job, can you explain to me what's not bad about it or what specifically you noticed in my voice or delivery or whatever that was good, just anything you noticed about my voice that you could comment on? For example, was I using the right voice for that song was I in key was I on pitch did you like anything about the tone of my voice did you notice if I was using my voice by breathing through the diaphragm or did you notice anything about my breathing was my high register in good order hitting keys and pitches and tones?...things like that...Appreciate!
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi Hollywood, @Hollywood

that are reasonable questions you are asking. I think I would have asked the same 1.5 years ago.

Here at KTVA we learn that good singing is a craft. And we learn this craft step by step. Ken's course is well-thought and provides us detailed informations what to do when. And ... we are used to analyze each others development based on scales that students demonstrate. Scales break things down scientifically and make it easy for everyone to distinguish the weak points of someone's development. Mostly we use the basic LAH triad scale Ken shows in so many free Youtube videos. You are invited to post a demo singing this scale yourself.

Since you want a feedback on your singing I want to tell you:

Passionate performance - good job. Strong head voice with good cord closure, your placement seems to be very frontal and nasally (maybe you want to go for a rounder tone), work on your support and pitch, keep the lower notes bright and reduce the use of air, don't scoop to the notes (but come from behind).

Doc
    FANTASTIK Doc! This is exactly the kind of technical feedback I'm looking for.. getting some pointers and some initial instructions for a while to orient myself re essential basics, before approaching Ken. I'm sure I could approach him at any level. I prefer, tho, firstly, to be somewhat familiar with some of the terminology of the Training spectrum and hopefully, also, to gather a general technical picture of where My Voice stands Right Now. Thank you for pointing out the LAH triad. Thank you so much, Doc! I will get to it as soon as possible and submit here for your and Others' consideration. THANK YOU!
  • cwcwcwcw 2.0 PRO Posts: 412
    @Hollywood to address your question the quality of the audio, it has what we call artifacts. Without getting technical, it is all the lack of clarity and "swirly" "swooshy" sounds in the recording itself indicate that it is low quality. So without regard to your vocals, compare the sound of your version with the original version that you hear on youtube or the radio. Big difference in clarity of the recording, right? :)

Hope that helps.

Chris
    10/19/19
    To DOC: Hey thanks Chris I will post a comment to you n a sec. Hey DOC RE LAH TRIAD SCALE; looked thru 30 vids of Ken's. Can't find anything. Ya wanna post a link here or what are key search words? I would luv to do this scale n send to Forum for comments. TY.
    To Doc: Hi Doc... U R Awesum❣️ Bcz there are so many Vids, thot it might take you awhile to find the exact LAH Triad Scale Vid you suggested to Me. Wowza, tho, you know your stuff... you sent it Same Day! Thank you so much, Doc Ramadani! You are genuinely helpful. Will get to it asap n then post it to here for all Comments 😊.
    My Reply To cwcw Chris:
    And this is also for you 2, Doc & Diego...

This one, Looong Post 🤣 Soo many questions!

Oh hi Chris! That was a long 'second', eh?! 😆
    THANK YOU MUCH for your explanations regarding my question on audio. Just to be clear:. Don't have a professional studio in order to record. This wasn't meant to be a demo. I'm just using the Goog Play Smule App on a Droid to record. This App's Software quality is nowhere near Radio or YouTube quality. With Smule, one will hear a scratchy mono sounding Recording unless Earbuds or Headphones 🎧 are used 😆!I

Any Suggs on how to Better record my Covers?? How does everybody else do it?

Don't have a band or original songs lined up so no need for a Demo, right?

Nearly every time I sing (4x/wk ~ with live bands and, also, I go Karaoke to practice new songs..) people Always ask me to pleez put my Band together!! Frequently people tell me they would pay 3, 4 or $500 to see me sing in big Arenas, so I must be doing something right!!😃😆. Been asked many times to Front Bands, including to Front an all Girl Led Zeppelin Tribute Band, which already has Gigs all over the 🌏World, and with very decent pay$$$$. I was also invited onto American Idol when they saw me singing Aguilera's Fighter song, not that long ago, but a Producer talked me out of it.

So... I mention all this cz, even tho my voice is NOT YET where I feel it should be, these consistent & constant Invites, Requests & Comments to Me, including, by Professionals and by those at the Top of the Music Making Industry, begs the question: Why am I getting these Invites if my vocals aren't good enough? Also, how many of the 70s 80s top classic rock singers have ever had vocal lessons? All we hear is they all started up a Band and then everything grew from there. If they had training, why don't they give their teachers credit and why did so many lose their voices? Soo Sad. Re vocal teachers n losing voices, I'm referring only to 70s 80s Classic Rock.. ie, Led Zeppelin, Janis, Whitesnake, Skid Row, Heart, include Axl... and more.

I'm in Hollywood where I am surrounded by amazing talent and Gigs every single night but I have not yet taken advantage of any offers I've received.... Why Not??

.... because I don't feel My Voice is the best that it can be. I know where I want it to be and I know it when I hear it. When I recently happened upon Ken n his Students singing, immed, it resonated (pun intended 🎶) & I knew Ken's teaching, knowledge and approach is probably the best that is available.

This was a really looong post 🤣🤣.
    Hope that's ok for this time. Happy to have found genuine camaraderie here with some awesome bonafide ARTISTS❣️ Additionally, I hope you All can understand Me a little better in relation to where I am in this Process.

THANKS TO YOU ALL❣️ APPRECIATE YOU ❣️

Btw, what is the purpose of the Facebook and Twitter Options on each of our posts?... because I thought that our conversations are only meant for us here on the Forum.

Also I see that the ""Quote"" option provides a one-tap copy and paste, so I'm guessing some people are copying and pasting Forum questions and answers to Facebook and Twitter but doesn't that require permission from everyone in the thread?

Ok Thank Y'all.😊
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    Whoa, that's a load of questions. It's really hard to answer all of this at once, so let me try.

You want to make better quality recordings? Then you can start by getting a DAW and a microphone. For starters it can be a usb microphone or whatever (if you can afford a condenser mic and a interface, you should get that). You can add compression and EQ to make your voice stand out more and sound cleaner in the mix.

About the offer thing.
    Hollywood said:

Professionals and by those at the Top of the Music Making Industry, begs the question: Why am I getting these Invites if my vocals aren't good enough? Also, how many of the 70s 80s top classic rock singers have ever had vocal lessons? All we hear is they all started up a Band and then everything grew from there. If they had training, why don't they give their teachers credit and why did so many lose their voices? Soo Sad. Re vocal teachers n losing voices, I'm referring only to 70s 80s Classic Rock.. ie, Led Zeppelin, Janis, Whitesnake, Skid Row, Heart, include Axl... and more.

There could be many reasons why. They see your voice tone could potentially sell a lot of records in today's modern music, it could be many things honestly. I can't really answer this.

You want to know what made 70's and 80's singers voices so great? Passion. They probably sang their asses of for years and practiced, practiced, practiced until they got something they could work with. Some 80's singers actually did grow up with at least some kind of "vocal training". Axl grew up singing in choir and also studied piano, he also had training with someone after Gun's blew up.

I totally understand where you are coming from when you say "my voice is not the best as can be". I think every singer will eventually stumble upon this thought. I have had that happen to me a lot of times, and in all honesty you will continue to have these thoughts a lot, because in reality... the voice doesn't stop changing.

Facebook and Twitter options are to share the conversation, if you want people from social media to look at your discussion or song or whatever, you can share it. This is a public thread, so it can be seen. Student areas will be blocked to people who don't own the course.
    edited February 2020
    Wowza Diego! Did I not reply immed, after your long thoughtful reply to me? It must have been around Thanksgivingtime cuz I got really busy from TG through the New Year...so I truly apologize for not replying to you sooner, Diego. Thank you so much for your detailed reply. You were the only one who tackled my really long post, thank you, Diego!
    2/26/20. Diego, Just 1 important question regarding the Facebook and Twitter. You said that "this is a public Thread so it can be seen".. seen by who, exactly?..can you explain? I think you said I can share this Post including all replies/comments, if I want... but what about you or other Commenters? Can anyone from KTVA share anything from my Discussions with their Facebook and Twitter?