Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

The sound of the lip rolls

Hi all, I know I'm boring, but I just wanted to ask if it's ok if the sound of my lip rolls is more like a motorboat sound rather than clear bubble sound which I hear when Ken does it? My lips are kind of small shaped and I only can get that clear sound with my fingers on cheeks, but I don't want to get used to that. I can do it without fingers, but it's not a clear sound like Ken's.

Comments

• Options
    cwcwcwcw 2.0 PRO Posts: 412
    Hi, @angrybeaver. There's no reason to consider yourself boring. :)

The purpose of the burble is to work on breath control, not the sound itself. Lots of folks struggle with the burble for reasons having nothing to do with breath control. Also, the burble isn't required to grow your voice. It's just a tool.

For me, I sometimes have to draw my (face) cheeks in a bit when I get started with burbles until my face loosens up. Try to get away from using your fingers to hold your cheeks.

I hope that helps.

Chris
  • Options
    angrybeaverangrybeaver Member Posts: 17
    Thank you @cwcw for kind words and advice. Sometimes I get caught up in making everything perfect. This helps a lot, thank you
  • Options
    doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @angrybeaver,

Chris is right, the Lip roll is a very good tool to practice your breath control.

I want to add:

Try to do them really light and try NOT to do them with the whole lips but with the center part of your lips (diameter approx. 2 to 2.5 inches). The face will relax over time.

Doc