Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Is this whistle register?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fcQc5Tmrbdw

This is a short clip, but it's the first time I've ever recorded anything involving me singing, but is this the whistle register? (I also think the note is G#6, but I'm not sure)

Comments

• Options
    doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    edited October 2019
    Hi @_AshleighMarie_,

you start on an E6/F6 and end on a G#6.

To my ears it sounds like your whistle register.

Does that help?

Doc
  • Options
    _AshleighMarie__AshleighMarie_ Member Posts: 10
    Yes 😂 Can I ask why you think it's the whistle register? I mean I agree but I just wanted to know
  • Options
    doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @_AshleighMarie_

That is easy: because it sounds like whistle. Try to sing the lyrics "I sing" on these notes. I am pretty sure that you are not able to do so. If you use your whistle register the configuration of your vocal tract is like a pipe. Can a pipe sing lyrics?

Doc
  • Options
    I've sang some words in the whistle register but it's not easy
  • Options
    I have another question. How does it sound? Does it sound bad? You can be honest
  • Options
    Hi @_AshleighMarie_,

it sounds nice, everyone sounds nice.

But we at KTVA are used to ask other questions:

- do I apply the technique correct?
    - I want to go for this or that, is that the right approach?
    - do you have any idea to get this or that phrase more smoothly?

Whether you sound good or bad will decided by the audience you present your art to. You have no influence on that. the only thing you have influence on is you own performance. But this offers a great chance: work on your technique, your performance skills and you will increase the probability that your audience will like your performance. And never underestimate the power of your personality.

Doc
  • Options
    DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    edited October 2019
    It is a whistle. It doesn't sound controlled, can you sustain it?
    Can you make it melodic? If you can, then it's USABLE in a song.

Since you asked me my opinion, I would say, no it is not good. But it's not because I want to be mean, just because it doesn't have those factors that make a whistle good. Mariah Carey's whistles are good because she can drive a song and can make a melody out of them,. Her whistles are controlled, since she can sustain them, add vibrato and not fall off pitch with them. It's a matter of practicing until you get it right.

Although I would not really recommend doing whistle for long periods of time as it may add a lot of stress on your cords, and can blow them out if you are doing it incorrectly. Practice the rest first, then try diving into other spectrums of the voice.

Cheers!
  • Options
    I can sustain it. I wasn't trying to control it or show what my whistle can do, I just wanted to find out if I did have the whistle register. I only found out that I had it about a year or two ago. While I'll be getting a vocal coach again, I don't know if she'll be able to help me with my whistles because she can't do them herself. I've done runs and spoke in the whistle, while some days it's not as easy to control or sustain, as well as some times it sounds airy and then it'll sound shrill. I've also noticed around Bb6, it becomes less shrill and more airy. I have gotten better, before I could barely control it at all and I expanded my range with it too 😁