Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Pc software for seeing pitch in real time and question about decibels of the LAH sound

If anyone is interested in monitoring their pitch accuracy there is a software Sing & See student for pc. You can see your pitch notes in real time while you sing. I thought I would help someone out there starting like me. What would you guys say is the decibel for the LAH sound, the volume in general? I have read there is a software for seeing the decibels when you sing so I think it is helpful to know. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi Mark, @mark90

nice to meet you again. I have heard about Sing & See but have never tried it. But sometimes I use a free app for my iPhone called SingScope. I use it sometimes if I want to figure out a certain note or how high a singer is singing.

I would call myself a tech guy but I learned that it is better to train my ears than depending on tech help when it comes to singing. I regularly do exercises on tonedear.com and it helps a lot. When you buy the course you will a whole section on better pitch in Volume 1 of the course. Do the exercises. They are amazing and train your ears and for sure your voice.

Your question regarding the general singing volume is reasonable. Also regarding this technical help, like measuring the decibels, can only give you a vague idea. From my personal experience (I was singing way to loud) I want to advice you to stay very conservative. If you listen to the LAH triad scale in the video I mentioned you can hear Ken playing his acoustic guitar and him singing the LAH triad. Listen to his voice in relation to his guitar. Hear how soft he plays the guitar and then notice that he sing with low volume. He sounds bright and powerful but actually he is singing NOT loud. So, try not to sing loud. Sing with proper technique.

Hope this helps you to make the first steps.

Doc
  • Options
    mark90mark90 Member Posts: 30
    Thank you so much for the great answer @doc_ramadani, it is great of you to share your knowledge and experience. It really is a huge help
  • Options
    mark90mark90 Member Posts: 30
    Hi @blondiewales , I am also torn between using the software and not using, for the moment I only use it when I learn scales and it helps me memorize the pitches and the feeling of different scales.
  • Options
    doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    It really is a huge help

You're welcome, mate. If you seriously want to learn great singing do your savings and get the course. You will find a lot of support here in the internal students' sections of the Forums.

Doc