Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

No Production Challenge + Made In America (Richie Sambora) cover

blondiewalesblondiewales Posts: 464Pro
Here's something I thought this might be a fun new way to get the community to participate.

I LOVE audio production, but I feel like sometimes it's good to know how you sound raw and unfiltered.

I'm going to record and release a few songs with just me and and a guitar, or singing along to a backing track.

I want to invite others to do the same.

To summarize, the challenge is to just show your singing into a laptop or phone mic. No fancy mics, amplification, preamps, converters, EQs, compressors, reverb, delay, chorus... Nothing.

Just you and an instrument/backing track.

The benefit is for others to see how singers sound on a simple recording, mistakes and all. I personally love seeing my favorite artists sing this way on YouTube, if it's available. It really shows their voice.

Here's a video recording I made specifically for this. No warm-up or scales or anything beforehand, so maybe this will give an idea how I sound "normal." It's Made In America by Richie Sambora. If the thread catches any traction, I'll make more.

I'd like to personally challenge @Diego @doc_ramadani and @coffeecrank to do the same. They're good singers and it seems like something they might do.

Comments

• coffeecrankcoffeecrank Posts: 2432.0 PRO
    edited November 7
    @blondiewales I'd totally do this, but the problem is I need my preamp to connect the mic to computer... I'm not sure my motherboard has a direct output to the mic? I gotta check.

EDIT: Or did you mean no mic at all? That can be done for sure.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 3,102Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management
  • blondiewalesblondiewales Posts: 464Pro
    edited November 7
    @coffeecrank well no mic at all would mean silence, haha. We'd all have to fly to you to listen to you in person.

Just a phone mic or something would be great, I think.

Edit: actually, a dynamic mic like yours is technically able to work without conventional preamps. You can plug it directly into the "audio in" on your computer, it'd just output very quietly. No reason to do this, though.
    @doc_ramadani by the way, feel free to post a separate topic with your video, post it here, or both. I want people to get plenty of feedback and comments so that more people are encouraged to do it :)
    @blondiewales No, I meant recording on a camera with only camera mic. :) But that would probably be too quiet. Yeah, I'll see if my mic can output decent volume, but likely not, as you said. I think you need a dedicated sound card for it to get any volume without preamp. I'll experiment. Does the challenge have to be any particular song?
    edited November 7
    Hmm what kind of camera do you have? The camera mic should be loud enough to capture what you need. My recording was done with my phone's mic while recording video. If yours is around the same volume, that should be fine.

It doesn't have to be any particular song. Just whatever you're comfortable with. Set up the mic however works, haha. The point is to be as basic as possible.
    @blondiewales My phone camera is pretty good, yeah. Ok, I'll do this sometime, but now with streaming I give no promises haha.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 3,102Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management
    Hi Hampton, @blondiewales

I love your idea and did a song that I haven't sung for a long time. The next one I will try to record with my iPhone because my old Camcorder was clipping. Here is a one try, no excuses, no editing, no whatever rendition:

Doc
    @doc_ramadani Thanks for putting yourself out there! I love the take. Very real. Don't worry about the guitar man. I had a few wrong chords in mine too... I just rolled with them like it was on purpose. People underestimate how difficult it is to keep consistent tempo throughout a song while singing. If you want more responses, you may want to tag people like you usually do.