Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Connecting breath to voice

Hi all
Just took the plunge and purchased the course! Have been watching the videos and practicing since the email arrived though I’ve been practicing with other methods for a while before. I’ve long been aware of the importance of the abdominal breathing and sense i can breathe properly, however something is getting locked up in my chest, throat neck jaw or face that i can’t seem to let go of and I often end up with a choked off sound. Sometimes i do feel free and then I lose it. I really believe that if i could find out what the problem area(s) is or are and relax I would make major progress quickly. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Matt

Answers

• VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    @tightendlb

Hi Matt welcome to the KTVA course from the UK, you've made a great choice to join and you need to register to get access to the student part of the forums @doc_ramadani maybe able to help with the link.

My best advice at this early stage read through Volume 1 pdf and it has lots of important information on how to do Volume 1. Watch the tutorial videos enough times that your able to apply these techniques and have a grasp on what's required.

If you have any further questions or need help, you can post them in the student part of the forums under Volume 1 and we can give you more detailed information.

Lots of friendly help and advice here hope to see you around.

Vocality
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @tightendlb

a warm Welcome. Since you purchased the course you should get your forum status updated. Please find the instructions here.

Maybe it would be helpful to post a video of yourself singing in the internal students' areas. I would recommend to you that you post a demo (video preferred) of the basic LAH triad scale of Volume 1 in 2 versions:

- one bridging into head voice
    - one stretching chest voice

A lot of things can be seen from these scales. Maybe we can give you some advice.

Doc
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    what can help to figure out the proper relaxation in the shoulders:

while standing up, pull your shoulders up to your ears while breathing in, and tense them for a 1-2seconds, then, breathe out while releasing the tension, and let them sink down. when you think they are fully relaxed and all the way down, gently "pull" them down a bit more, and let the tension go again. it helps to find the sensation of full relaxation.

a light warmup/stretching can also be helpful before you start the singing routine
  • tightendlbtightendlb 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 24
    Thank you Vocality, Doc and Klaus-- I have and/or will do all of the above. I've never posted a video before, so I'd really appreciate if you could let me know how or show me where I could find out how to do so...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2019
    Hi @tightendlb,

One simple way to post a video here is to first upload it to YouTube, and set its privacy level to "Unlisted". This means that only people who have the direct link to it can view it. You can then post that link in a thread in the student area of the forum. :)
  • tightendlbtightendlb 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 24
    Awesome, thank you!... what an incredible group of people you all are!