Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Where to start?

Good morning from Virginia. My name is Steve. I'm 57. I have always wanted to sing since a kid as well as play the guitar. I started playing about 10 years ago and I'm satisfied at where I am. Singing is another issue. I have always been told I sing like crap. I can hum notes in tune, but can't seem to sing in tune. My voice is raspy and breaks. I tried the Weekend Warrior program for about 3 months a couple years ago and saw very minimal results. I gave up.
After thinking this through, I struggled with guitar for 3 years. Jumping around from YouTube video to YT video and never getting anywhere. I singed up for Paul Gilberts course through Artistworks. At first I did not put the proper time into the basics to really nail them before moving on to the "good stuff". I went back an spent the time. I do not want to play fast, I just want to play well for me.
OK, all that said to bring it back around to singing.
Today is day 1. I welcome opinions on where to start and how much to do, for how long before moving on. Do I just do the Diaphragm breathing without anything else for "X". Do I incorporate other videos? If so, which one? How do you know to move on?
These answers may be here someplace, I just don't understand the forum yet. I welcome any help to make this a success so I can stop singing in my head only.
Thank you in advance and I'm excited to be here.

Comments

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi Steve,

my name is Marco (most call me Doc), I am 49 years old and I started the course 17 months ago. A warm Welcome to this nice learning environment. You will love these Forums.

Since you purchased the course you should get your forum status updated. Please find the instructions here.

First, to make it easier to have an overlook what is happening in the forums:

When you enter the forums the normal way you will see the "category view!. You can see all the categories with the last 5 discussions that were active in this category. This can sometimes be a bit confusing because you can not see what is happening in the different categories on the first look. Many students, including myself, prefer the "discussions view". In the the "discussions view" you can see the last discussion regardless in which category they have been posted. If you look at the top line of your browsers window yon can read "Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singers Forum" (or if you are on a mobile device "KTVA Singers Forum). Next to it it says "Categories" - "Discussions" - "Activity" - ... Click on "Discussions" and you are in the "discussions view". For me, this view is easier because I can see all the latest things that happened in the forums.

Doc
  • lespaulmasterlespaulmaster 2.0 PRO Posts: 10
    Yo Steve!

Welcome! I'm new here too and just learned a couple things from what Doc said. My user name has been lespaulmaster, but my name is Dave and I'm going to ask Doc if I can change it to Dave or something close to that. Doc's everywhere on the Forum and must be the gentleman that runs this! There's a wealth of info here, and it's just getting use to finding out where everything is. If your like me, you want the fast track. I'm 60 and wanna learn all I can while I'm here, (On earth) that is! :smile: -)

Just learned everything's in the Law yesterday! Seems that's where to start singing and I hope somebody corrects me if I'm wrong. Video 13. You can fast forward to it if you haven't gotten there yet. Ken says all vowel sounds are a modification of the La so If you get that down pat, the rest will be easier.

I'm already behind cause this is a bad month to start anything with Christmas and everything going on.
    Looking forward to hearing everyone get better. We'll all be Rock Gods before ya know it! :D

Good Luck Bro,

Dave
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi Dave,

no, you are wrong. I am not running these Forums. Ken Tamplin runs these Forums and his partner Bob ( @highmtn, our force of wisdom ) administrates the Forums. Bob is the good soul of the Forums.

I am a student like you. But my singing passion is HUGE and I enjoy this place very much. I think you can change your username yourself. Just click on that small gearwheel in the upper right and select "Edit Profile". You should be able to change your username there.

Doc (Marco)
  • lespaulmasterlespaulmaster 2.0 PRO Posts: 10
    Thanks for setting me straight on that Doc! It's taking sum time getting use to all this but I'm having a good time. Hope my neighbors don't mind. I use to blast my amp at 3am and the cops only came once that I know of. The lady that called them got evicted last week so I'm back to all night jams! My other neighbor is a cop and I know he works all nite so we're in sync.