Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Am I a bass or a bass-baritone?

So this one has been on my mind lately. In HS I was classified as a bass, and my range was C2-C4. I'm now almost 30 and that has changed from C#2-G4 (chest only). I realize there are many facets of voice classification, range being only one of them, so I'll provide some more relevant data: My speaking voice is about E-F#2, my most natural and free tessitura on the low end is E2, and my first break is at D#4. Anything beyond that I have to belt and use compression usually. All this aside, vocal color in different areas of the voice is, to my knowledge, one of the most defining characteristics. So with that said, I have a few clips. One in my lower register and one with a peak of E4 in the opening solo for "Loch Lomond".

Low: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-PAskfT4Rk (I realize it's old, but I've been singing all day and for some reason I find it difficult to sing lower if I've been singing high for long periods of time)

Higher:

I realize the only way to know for sure would be to go and train with a vocal coach and have them walk me through a bunch of exercises to see exactly where I fall, but I thought I'd ask for some opinions based on the limited information I can give.

Comments

• Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited December 2019
    we don't really have these classifications at KTVA. it's just Dudes and Divas ;) the program helps to extend your range beyond these so called fachs, which makes them irrelevant for us. maybe the classification is useful in some classical context, but it is not really part of what we learn. if you want to sing a particular song, it will be relevant if you can actually reach the lowest and highest notes. if not, you can alter the key accordingly (which does obviously not work if the relative range between these two points is too big). i guess if you want to figure out the fach, you could check which your lowest and highest notes are and then see here where you're at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fach

whether or not these notes will be usable in a song, will be an entirely different story though

• Options
    doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @Goggalor1990,

like Klaus told you: we do not think in these classical categories here at KTVA. But if it helps you: to my ears you sound like a baritone.

Doc