Homeā€ŗ GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Is it possible to "decrease" that twang tone when singing?

Hi there
Been practicing for quite some time here.
When singing rock and hitting high notes, I notice my voice goes into this "twangy" sound (sort of a timbre similar to the way jack black sounds). I dont like that very much. I've got a teacher who loves this stuff and likes getting that twangy sound when singing.
But I dont. I think its too much.
Ive been trying to avoid it, widening a lot my mouth, trying to look for a more "upper" resonance, far from the pharyngeal zone, but the thing is, when I'm singing high, raspy notes, I just cant avoid it. Also, after a couple minutes, voice gets even more into that twangy timbre.
Any ideas about what to do?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    I listened to some Tencious D stuff. I am not sure what you are refering to when you say "twang". Maybe link a video with a time stamp of what you're getting at. I think that would be helpful in getting at what you are trying to convey.
  • Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    is it possible you mean that sort of "operatic", covered sound? If widening your mouth gets rid (partially) of the unwanted timbre, it might be that that's what you mean? I agree with @HuduVudu , a link would be great (even better, a recording of yourself with an example). maybe your larynx is rising, is there a "froggy" component to it as well?
  • Options
    doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    HI @ignaciogjo77,

I agree with Shane ( @HuduVudu ) that a video might help us to understand what you mean. Since I am not a native speaker I don't understand the term "twang".

Doc
  • Options
    Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    Ok, so I think there might be some confusion on what the term "twang" means in singing. Twang is the use of your epiglottis to sort of compress the sound. Like most things in singing you can use varying amounts of twang in your singing depending on how far down you lower your epiglottis. Twang is used in almost every style of singing to varying amounts. Country style music seems to use it the most though. The reason you should use twang though is mainly because it can drastically alter your dynamics and increase your vocal volume A LOT!

Here are some audio examples that you may find useful:

https://cvtresearch.com/description-of-twang/
  • Options
    @ignaciogjo77 If you haven't already seen it, this video from Ken on twang might help you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0oF0vXpvjY
  • Options
    DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    Chris82 said:

Ok, so I think there might be some confusion on what the term "twang" means in singing. Twang is the use of your epiglottis to sort of compress the sound. Like most things in singing you can use varying amounts of twang in your singing depending on how far down you lower your epiglottis. Twang is used in almost every style of singing to varying amounts. Country style music seems to use it the most though. The reason you should use twang though is mainly because it can drastically alter your dynamics and increase your vocal volume A LOT!

Here are some audio examples that you may find useful:

https://cvtresearch.com/description-of-twang/

I agree @Chris82.
    Just to make it clear too, since I don't want to look like I am spreading false information. When I say nasal resonance, I definitely do not mean nasality as they are two completely different things, I also hinted this saying placing "ALMOST" in your nose, but more of further back in the nasopharynx.

@SusanFr since you said you were a soprano, I have just a quick question since we're talking about twang. How much do opera sopranos use twang? Just wondering.
  • Options
    SusanFrSusanFr 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 4
    I don't embrace twang, as synonyms for twang are "twitch or throb with pain," and "harsh, quick, ringing sound" with an image of the string of a violin being plucked. In my opinion, a standard twang--- not the kind of balanced twang used with an open throat which Ken says can work at times--provokes a musical line with the triumphant pluck of a disabled bed-spring. Loud and shrill can be ugly much of the time. A twang is not the most aesthetic path to creating an amplified sound. But of course, loads of strange sounds can be used periodically and in the right places for certain entertaining purposes. I'll try some twanging tonight to see if I can entertain any neighbors, or if they run out into the street, and then I'll put on my mask.
  • Options
    doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Thanks, @Chris82,

that helped me a lot to understand the meaning of "Twang".

Doc
  • Options
    @Chris82 that's an interesting page! thanks for posting!
  • Options
    ignaciogjo77ignaciogjo77 Member Posts: 4
    thank you all for your answers! really appreciate it
    Ok, so I will upload a video showing what I mean with that sort of sound. Hopefully today.
    So, I've been wrong all the time?
    Wasn't twang that "witches gaggle" sound tons of singing teachers refer to? Because, for example, jack black's singing is pretty much FULL of it, and that sound is the one I want to decrease.
    I notice, when using it, its MUCH easier to hit high notes, more of a "pharyngeal" resonance, but I dont like the sound very much...
  • Options
    haha sorry its "withches cackle"
    Im from chile so my english is not the best :D
  • Options
    THATS IS!
    AXL ROSE
    THATS A GREAT EXAMPLE OF TWANG (too much twang for my taste)
    thats what I dont like too much...
  • Options
    i think Axl Rose uses a lot of mask, maybe you want to watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF72nmuX01c

post the audio when you are ready please