Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF
Options

Hello my name is Judie Stanley from Placerville, CA and i have some questions

jmstanlejmstanle 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 141
Hi,
Really pleased to be here and meet you all. I'm an introvert but partial extrovert. My job is Software Engineer at Intel Corp. And recently I got back into music and magically found out about a club at work where we practice at noon on Fridays! We even played 3 gigs inside the company for the holidays and a festival last fall. Any hoo... my question is: If I put some lyrics up (poetry basically) because I want feedback or something, who owns the rights to it?
Thanks!
Judie

Comments

• Options
    Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    edited January 2020
    Welcome! It’s good to have you here.

I’m no lawyer but from what I understand If you’re in the U.S. then you own anything you create by default without having to do anything other than create the work. However, the safest bet is to register it (for a fee).

You can also protect it with a poor mans copywrite (basically you mail it to yourself and then don’t open it so you can at least prove possession of the IP via the postmarked date on the envelope)

However the poor mans copy write has never been used in an actual court so does it really protect you? Prob not.

In reality though stealing of works isn’t something that happens very often.
  • Options
    doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hello Judie, @jmstanle

a warm Welcome to the Forums. We here in German also know the poor mans copyright but like Chris mentioned I don't believe that it will "survive" trial. I think the best way to protect you IP without a fee is to publish it. Make a Youtube video, post it on Facebook, ...

Doc